Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to mount the forged wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised to see that many owners mount their wheels the wrong way..

tesla-motors-roadster-sport-2.5-c436621042013103038_1.jpg

kUqbTn4E33x22.JPG

Used-White-Roadster.jpg

tesla-motors-roadster-sport-2.5-c314622032013221305_2.jpg

Interesting. It appears my memory is wrong and they were facing forward and needed to be flipped to back.

I can't check now because I have the winter wheels on, but when I get home I will confirm the tire direction/spoke orientation of the summer tires.

Here's a picture from when I bought it
attachment.php?attachmentid=28243&d=1376458412.jpg

and here's one from my ownership page on the Tesla website
sp&view=STUD_SIDE&size=940&options=ELT1,ASO1,WHL2,INT2.BK.BK.tr.1,COL2-TWBL&ts=71475.39407585305.jpg

My tire shop mounted mine backwards one time. At first they wanted to charge me to fix them, accusing ME of getting it backwards, not them. But I pointed out the markings that are stamped on the wheels. End of discussion. Red-faced tire tech goes back to work fixing it.

You also need to get the yellow dots lined up correctly for Yokohama tires. They balance much better that way.

My tire shop mounted mine backwards one time. At first they wanted to charge me to fix them, accusing ME of getting it backwards, not them. But I pointed out the markings that are stamped on the wheels. End of discussion. Red-faced tire tech goes back to work fixing it.

You also need to get the yellow dots lined up correctly for Yokohama tires. They balance much better that way.
A tire shop acted like removing tires, rolling them to the other side, and remounting them, was a big hassle? It's literally all they do all day and takes 2 minutes. Talk about terrible customer service.

My local shop does puncture repairs and rotations for free so they'd never balk at this issue.

Match Mounting | Yokohama Tire Corp.Yokohama Tire Corporation

1) Uniformity Method

When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly, the weight method of match-mounting should be used instead.

Last edited by a moderator: