Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Move the Camera to the Top Half of the Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't be done. V9 uses Nav as the backdrop all the time and other apps are pop ups from the bottom, media & internet can be sized up even more to about 3/4 the screen but not full screen anymore. Camera can just overlay its default size of about 1/3 to 1/2 the screen size. You can't have it on top anymore.

Reactions: Kalex and spectrum
You are zakery right:D

IMG_5059.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg

This really sucks as I've gotten used to having the rear-camera view on top when not using the Nav app, almost like having a secondary rear-view mirror on the top half of the screen. I wish Tesla had left the option to still move that rear-camera view on top...still don't understand why they took away the flexibility of this.

I was tempted to hold off on installing v9 to see if they will bring this option back, but it doesn't sound like it will be there anytime soon for now.

Last edited:
This really sucks as I've gotten used to having the rear-camera view on top when not using the Nav app, almost like having a secondary rear-view mirror on the top half of the screen. I wish Tesla had left the option to still move that rear-camera view on top...still don't understand why they took away the flexibility of this.

I was tempted to hold off on installing v9 to see if they will bring this option back, but it doesn't sound like it will be there anytime soon for now.

Same--hopefully it comes back in another version. That being said, I'm impressed with the 360 degree view of cars for blindspot checking. I feel like it's been pretty decent and I might be able to trust it enough that I won't miss the rearview camera on top? My main purpose was for quick check of blind spot, before I actually physically turn back to look before I change lanes.

Reactions: XHokie and Bogobec

+1 Seems like a backward step, at least in display flexibility. I don't often need to use Nav, so don't always have it displayed. Camera on top is my default when using a hitch mounted bike carrier to keep an eye on them.

From a UI design standpoint, having the fixed top/bottom windows was a trade-off. While it provided the user control over which apps were displayed - it was a fixed divider between the top and bottom, resulting in a lot of wasted screen space for low information apps like the energy graph or media player.

Recommend using the new interface for a few weeks - and then submit problem reports or suggestions to Tesla about improvements.

There is nothing really earth shatteringly great about new UI. I am dissappointed about losing cam though as I tow a lot. I liked having music+cam as I know where I am going (no map need). Darn.
The sliding music thing gives me hope you could put 2 up and slide

There is nothing really earth shatteringly great about new UI. I am dissappointed about losing cam though as I tow a lot. I liked having music+cam as I know where I am going (no map need). Darn.
The sliding music thing gives me hope you could put 2 up and slide

Not only that, it is no longer possible to show the Media and the Energy graph at the same time at all. If you are towing, I would think the energy graph would be important. But now the energy graph can only be shown by completely covering the media. At the same time the top half is totally wasted with the map. While the map is nice, 99% of my driving is in places where the map is a total waste!

Reactions: XHokie
Not only that, it is no longer possible to show the Media and the Energy graph at the same time at all. If you are towing, I would think the energy graph would be important. But now the energy graph can only be shown by completely covering the media. At the same time the top half is totally wasted with the map. While the map is nice, 99% of my driving is in places where the map is a total waste!

You can still show the energy graph in the IC. Music on the other side.... FWIW

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer