Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to mute radio/music during directions on navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Model 3, during the navigation directions the Radio/music that is playing is not being muted or even volume lowered so that I can hear navigation direction.

I am not sure if there is a setting some here.

All cars I had sofar automatically mute the Radio/Music during navigation directions. (even android phone does it too). My older Toyota even more clever in reducing the volume of Radio as well as giving Directions only on Drivers side speakers so driver can hear it clearly and others not disturbed much.

Please post if someone found a way to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tebling
I noticed this during a test drive and was very surprised that the music volume didn’t lower during nav directions, but I assumed it had to be a setting buried in the menu somewhere.

If the S/X have it and the 3 doesn't, it seems like just one more unfortunate example where the software development on the 3 just wasn't done adequately.

I don't know if you can actually mute it (i rented a Model 3 last weekend, but don't have access now to try it out), but I know for sure that the music quieted down some when nav was 'speaking'. You can control the nav's volume while it's 'speaking' simply by using the scroll while while the nav is 'speaking'. Adjust it to where you can clearly hear it over the music.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
When streaming Bluetooth audio the sound does lower for me during maps directions from the car. One could increase this effect by lowering the volume on your phone a little. I haven't tried the model 3s native streaming yet though. Surprised that isn't more seamless.

On the X you use the scroll button on the steering wheel to adjust the radio and then you use the same button to adjust the volume of the Navigation when she is speaking. This will allow you to adjust the Navigation louder than the radio so it seems to almost mute...kind of :D

My Lexus (and Toyota I assume) does it beautifully. Music gets shifted to just the side speakers and center speaker gets the Navi voice. It's beautifully balanced and it doesn't interrupt the music yet still allows me to hear the directions clearly.

It's much more jarring on my Honda. Their whole navi/entertainment system sucks. The Lexus is a lot older, but other than the display quality, it just acts and feels a lot more advanced.

Was driving using navigation today, and the radio (streaming), certainly didn’t lower the volume (of the radio) as it states in the manual, that it should. I can’t be the first one to encounter this, how do we (Tesla model 3 forum) determine that this has been added to the fix it pile?

It depends on how loud your music is. If the volume isn’t above a certain threshold it won’t lower the music for the nav directions. Try increasing the volume of the nav prompts, I suspect if that is set to a high enough volume relative to the music volume it will force it to lower the music during nav prompts.

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar and mswlogo
On my Model 3, during the navigation directions the Radio/music that is playing is not being muted or even volume lowered so that I can hear navigation direction.

All cars I had sofar automatically mute the Radio/Music during navigation directions. (even android phone does it too). My older Toyota even more clever in reducing the volume of Radio as well as giving Directions only on Drivers side speakers so driver can hear it clearly and others not disturbed much.

Thanks in advance.
My Model S mutes the music on the speakers next to the driver and you can adjust the volume of the directions using the icon on the nav screen. Don't know how the Model 3 works but I assume it's the same. I never have any problem hearing directions.

It depends on how loud your music is. If the volume isn’t above a certain threshold it won’t lower the music for the nav directions. Try increasing the volume of the nav prompts, I suspect if that is set to a high enough volume relative to the music volume it will force it to lower the music during nav prompts.

+1

Mine works fine and lowers Music from any source for Nav prompts on my Model 3. Works quite good.

To raise volume on Nav prompt, turn the Volume up while it's speaking a Nav command.

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar

Thanks in advance.
There is a separate volume adjustment for the NAV when the Nav is active and you can raise the volume there (settings)

On my 3, the music/radio volume lowers whenever the nav speaks. It's very nice that you can individually change the nav volume from the radio/music as not all cars allow that.

My issue is I need a commute option so when I go to work from home or vice versa the nav just shuts up so I can take advantage of the Nav on Autopilot without her talking over my music.