Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open charge port without key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I just discovered something today. I was awaiting another Tesla to finish charging at a hotel charger and happened to be waking by when the owner came out. Perfect! Walked over to car and opened app to unlock and get my J1772 adaptor. I didn't have my key with me.

Tried app to open port. No bueno.

Searched menu on center screen. No bueno.

Please tell me I'm having a moment and point me in the right direction.

My pre facelift MS85 (Jan 2015 build) has a button on the center screen u can press to open port. I'd think my newer (Nov 2016 build) AP1 Model X would have the same feature. Does it?

I also noticed another issue. I have the car set to go in sleep mode to minimize vampire drain but when I press the button on my wall charger at home the charge port won't open. I have to unlock the car and open it to get it to turn on in order for the charging button to open port. Am I doing something wrong?

I just discovered something today. I was awaiting another Tesla to finish charging at a hotel charger and happened to be waking by when the owner came out. Perfect! Walked over to car and opened app to unlock and get my J1772 adaptor. I didn't have my key with me.

Tried app to open port. No bueno.

Searched menu on center screen. No bueno.

Please tell me I'm having a moment and point me in the right direction.

My pre facelift MS85 (Jan 2015 build) has a button on the center screen u can press to open port. I'd think my newer (Nov 2016 build) AP1 Model X would have the same feature. Does it?

I also noticed another issue. I have the car set to go in sleep mode to minimize vampire drain but when I press the button on my wall charger at home the charge port won't open. I have to unlock the car and open it to get it to turn on in order for the charging button to open port. Am I doing something wrong?
I think if you unlock the car with the phone app then you can choose open the charge port from the charge screen

The open charge port button is on both "Charging" option in the App / center screen.

IMG_7573.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Racerx22b
Semi-related tip: If a 1772 station is in use, and you can park close enough to it the cord will reach, just leave the adapter plugged in before you leave. It will lock in place when the car locks, and if the current user notices they can plug it in for you. If not, you don't even need the app when you go back to plug it in. It has become the de facto "please plug me in" sign at our office with limited chargers.