Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open doors with keyfob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys:

I feel like an idiot for asking this but how do you open the passenger or driver side door with the keyfob? I know you can open the falcon wing doors but when I double click the car unlocks but doesn't open the doors for driver or passenger.

I asked DS and they said to turn on auto doors but I don't see that under settings. Am I missing something? Thanks

I don't have pup. but I thought you could open the front doors with the keyfob? like if you double click. I know I won't have the auto opening doors. I want to be able to open doors with double clicking the keyfob.
Not anymore. They've changed this a couple of firmwares ago. It's all part of "automatic door" option only available with PUP.

Reactions: Dr Doom
Not anymore. They've changed this a couple of firmwares ago. It's all part of "automatic door" option only available with PUP.
I have pup so this may not help but I struggled with getting the doors to open with the key fob once my wife turned on auto unlock driver only option (which I agree is a good safety feature). What works for me is first double click unlocks doors, pause, double click again opens driver door, pause, third double click opens passenger door. By double click I mean center top of fob.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Dr Doom
thanks for the help guys. man this is really quite sneaky to limit the keyfob to only close the doors but not open the front doors. The tech is there already in the car to have the doors be opened with the keyfob but it's limited by the software. It's not a big deal but I am accumulating a ton of fingerprint smudges on the door from pushing to open. this is killing my ocd soul. definitely first world problems. lol.

• Funny
Reactions: tezzla and Tomnook
Yea funny on the contrary I have the option but have to disable it due to how the genius at Tesla decided to bundle all of these together under the "Automatic door" setting:

- Self-present driver door
- Double click to open driver door
- Double click 2nd time to open passenger door

Because of my kid (door always hit on her when we both approach to the car from the front) and annoyance when entering/exiting the garage, I have to disable self-present door. While I want the double click functionality I can't use them!

Yea funny on the contrary I have the option but have to disable it due to how the genius at Tesla decided to bundle all of these together under the "Automatic door" setting:

+1. We should be able to disable auto present, but still open doors by double clicking.

Because of my kid (door always hit on her when we both approach to the car from the front) and annoyance when entering/exiting the garage, I have to disable self-present door. While I want the double click functionality I can't use them!
Yeah that's something that should be separated. Auto present doors should be a separate option from being able to double click to open doors. Hopefully this is in a firmware update.

thanks for the help guys. man this is really quite sneaky to limit the keyfob to only close the doors but not open the front doors. The tech is there already in the car to have the doors be opened with the keyfob but it's limited by the software. It's not a big deal but I am accumulating a ton of fingerprint smudges on the door from pushing to open. this is killing my ocd soul. definitely first world problems. lol.
You could apply a thin film (like these Door Handle Wraps)on the door handles to prevent the smudges. Cheaper than PUP. ;)

Auto present doors should be a separate option from being able to double click to open doors. Hopefully this is in a firmware update.

I was told by a DS at a service center on Wednesday that, even without PUP/auto-present, the fob could open the doors. I'm going to be very disappointed if that is not true. I'm really not a fan of the door handles.

I was told by a DS at a service center on Wednesday that, even without PUP/auto-present, the fob could open the doors. I'm going to be very disappointed if that is not true. I'm really not a fan of the door handles.
The fob could open the FWDs so the DS is not wrong.

However without PUP there's no "automatic doors" setting in the car. Without enabling that option even us with PUP cannot open the front doors with the fob.

The fob could open the FWDs so the DS is not wrong.

He was. The conversation was very specific. I had written the question down, along with about 10 others inspired by the loaner, and read it to him: "My doors will not self present. I didn't get that. I didn't get the PUP. What else won't they do?"

He said "Nothing. They are identical other than that. Everything else you could do on the loaner, your car will do."

He was. The conversation was very specific. I had written the question down, along with about 10 others inspired by the loaner, and read it to him: "My doors will not self present. I didn't get that. I didn't get the PUP. What else won't they do?"

He said "Nothing. They are identical other than that. Everything else you could do on the loaner, your car will do."
My DS said the same thing that the front door would open with the keyfob without PUP. I don't think they understand that it's a software limited lock out. I hope in future Tesla just gives the owner the option of opening the driver and passenger front door with the keyfob. Regardless of the PUP.

Reactions: JHWJR
My DS said the same thing that the front door would open with the keyfob without PUP. I don't think they understand that it's a software limited lock out. I hope in future Tesla just gives the owner the option of opening the driver and passenger front door with the keyfob. Regardless of the PUP.

This might be hard for Tesla, because many of us paid extra for PUP to get this functionality.