Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open front doors from inside during power loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've indirectly heard a story of someone that got into a crash that resulted in a model X losing power and as a result the driver was locked in the car and was not able to open the front door because of the power loss. I don't know if the story is true, nor do I know if the reason the door could not be opened is because it is locked and there was no way to unlock it due to the power loss of if it was because the door simply can't be mechanically opened without electric power. If true, this seems kind of dangerous. Does anyone know what the story is in terms of opening front door from the inside during power loss? Is there anyway to cut power to the system to experiment with this ourselves?

What can occur with power loss is the window remaining up after the door handle is pulled. The result feels as if the door is still locked. The person could push harder on the door to force the window from the rubber seal.

Recently, my Model X driver door has not opened twice with the window remaining up. Since power is available, lowering the window solves the problem. Not sure what would cause my window to not always drop when the handle is pulled. I just tried to repeat this unusual situation before and after putting the vehicle in Park without success. The vehicle did go into Park automatically after the driver door was opened.

Maybe I was slowly moving forward in a parking space when I pulled the handle to check on side curb clearance. This hasn't happened in the past.

Last edited:
The first responder guides are available here: First Responders | Tesla Motors

In terms of locked doors with unresponsive drivers, first responders will break windows as needed. They can even remove doors, the B piller, and even sever the A pillar as needed to obtain access to the cabin. The first responder docs serve to inform these folks where it's safe to cut and where not to. A demo of the Hurst "jaws of life" tools in training:

I personally like to keep a tool in the center console that can break the windows if needed for escape. These are cheap and they'll do the job: Amazon.com: Seatbelt Cutter Window Breaker Escape Tool 2 Pack: Automotive

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
The first responder guides are available here: First Responders | Tesla Motors

In terms of locked doors with unresponsive drivers, first responders will break windows as needed. They can even remove doors, the B piller, and even sever the A pillar as needed to obtain access to the cabin. The first responder docs serve to inform these folks where it's safe to cut and where not to. A demo of the Hurst "jaws of life" tools in training:

I personally like to keep a tool in the center console that can break the windows if needed for escape. These are cheap and they'll do the job: Amazon.com: Seatbelt Cutter Window Breaker Escape Tool 2 Pack: Automotive

Lots of good information. Thank you for posting!

The FWD operation without power sounds less than ideal. It sounds like they need to add a pictorial briefing card on how to open the door in the event of an emergency like on an airplane. :)

OPENING THE FALCON WING DOORS WITHOUT POWER Without 12 volt power, the falcon wing doors can only be opened from the inside of the vehicle. Remove the speaker grill from the door and pull the mechanical release cable down and towards the front seat, as shown below. After the latch has released, manually lift up the doors

The Model X is in the Service Center for FWD seal repair and reattachment of the front driver door seal that has come loose. I also brought up the "Key No Longer Inside" message occurring recently after first appearing in April, a known issue.

The problem of the front windows occasionally staying up is another known issue. I have had it happen from inside and outside the vehicle. The SC mentioned that another customer had it stick at the car wash while outside. The work around if it occurs outside is to open the opposite door and use the window switch to lower the window to free the door. In my case, I had to reach across the console to press the driver door window switch.

so with a premium package, when i disconnected the power and tried to open the door from inside, there's a lot of resistance from actuator that normally auto opens the door... i feel like i'm gonna break it if i push it harder.
Is this normal? whats everyone's experience?