Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to open stuck glove compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually bookmark these things, but I can't find it anymore. The Model 3 video seems to show the same easy method to try to open the glove box. I think it is the same process for the S model, as far as that goes. I needed to unscrew a bunch of screws, though to take off the door when mine wouldn't open easily, and I think they are across the bottom under a trim piece, if I am not mistaken. Try the trick in the video, and if it does not work, I'll look further, but I sure can seem to find it thru searches or in my bookmarks anymore.

Upvote 0
BTW Make sure it is not in Valet Mode. Also, to make sure you don't have a bad open button. Use the voice command "open glove box."

There are two plastic "pins" on each side that are connected together on each side of the glove box door near the top of the door. Unlike the model 3, the retractable pins are on the door and not on the outside frame. It may be that in the Youtube video above on the model 3, you just need to push the pin into the glovebox door from the right side hole. When the glove box is opened, both pins retract from the side to allow the door to open. If something is pressing on the door, the pins can't open when you press the button, or maybe one slides ok out of the way, but the other one is hung up by the door pressing outward and causing too much pressure on the pin to slide. Try pressing and holding the open button, and pushing in on the right side and release, and then the left and release to see if relieving pressure won't free a stuck pin.

Next, try pressing the button, and use something like a credit card or a small plastic "crowbar" for trim removal to try to leverage the glovebox open. Don't apply too much force.

Reactions: McQ14
Upvote 0