Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to optimize sentry mode review?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you guys watch the sentry mode videos? It takes forever and i cant correlate the alerts in car to the videos on the thumb drive when I review them days later.

It also seems to record a lot of blank videos.

Lastly my 16gb drive fills in like 2 days. I can get a bigger one but taking the drive out plugging into computer to sift through dozens of videos with no action is a cumbersome chore

At first I was very excited to see the sentry mode videos, but as you said, it can take a lot of time. So here is what I've been doing:
1. I have 2 USB drives. I've got 1 plugged in and 1 in the console as my spare. They are 128GB so they last weeks before they fill up.
"Sandisk CZ48 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Memory Drive - SDCZ48-128G-U46". When 1 fills up I swap the other one in immediately.
2. For expediency sake, I figure if there is no damage to my car (yes, I'll walk around it and take a look at it), then I don't need the videos.
So I will delete the videos from the filled up USB drive after this review of my car's condition. Then the drive goes back in my car as the spare. This approach could be modified to add another USB to the rotation so you could "sit on" the videos for a couple of weeks in case you later realize you want the videos. That way you never delete any videos newer than 2 weeks old, for example.
3. I use a web app to review my videos when something happens that I care about (e.g. I have provided videos to the county sheriff's office when I was right behind an accident that occurred. This was a case of using the "recent videos", not the sentry videos). This web app is pretty darn good. In fact, I liked it so much I sent in a donation after using it yesterday:

TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

I think some people are reviewing sentry cam videos every time they get in their cars, but I don't actually want to do that.

Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: mrau
A couple things to mention. First off the use of flash drives will burn you and fail in under a year. The storage is constantly written to. Highly recommend an endurance type card.
SanDisk 256gb Endurance
Samsung 128gb Endurance

As for the ease of viewing. I have an Android personally and use the TeslaCam Reviewer app. With this 4 in 1 SD Card Reader Adapter I can review any clips quick and easy. The app shows you all 3 cameras at once and ability to play at high speed.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
I have a complicated set up. I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W in the car running teslausb. It transfers the sentry clips to a Jetson Nano running at home. That computer merges the three videos for each timestamp into one, and then creates a five-second preview of the video. The Nano also serves a website which I can use to see the preview clips as well as the full ones. I end up reviewing the previews and then watching the full clips for the timestamps when there is something interesting going on. If I want to keep any of the clips, I then move them to another folder. The Nano automatically removes clips older than 30 days, except the ones that I have moved into a "saved" folder. The Pi Zero W in the car has a 128GB Micro-SD card and the Jetson Nano at home has a 1TB SSD.

Here is the project with all the code.