Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to order model S for March 1st delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

If I specify March as my preferred date could the car arrive anytime in March?

Or should I wait until February is shown as a delivery date option so the car will definitely be available on 1st March? Or might they want to register it in February?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
My local Tesla dealer says I can't place an order for March delivery until sometime in October, which is when the March delivery slot opens. However, I want to make sure I get the car on 1st March and would like to tie in the price and take advantage of the Supercharger offer which ends 16th September. So I'm trying to work out if ordering for a February delivery in September might work. They definitely will not allow 6-9 month advance ordering at the moment.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Got it. Probably best to ask the sales folk how you achieve that, they are usually very helpful - bottom line is that they will want your order :)

Are you that sold on the Supercharger offer?. My lifetime usage of Supercharger is 12%. I do 27,000 miles a year, and that 12% is worth less than a hundred quid a year to me ...every little helps, of course, but unless you are going to be doing more than 200 miles a day often, and on routes that go past a handy Supercharger, then whilst the availability of Supercharger is fantastic and a major advantage of the Tesla brand, getting it for free is mostly just physiological IMHO :)

Hi @MarkJ

sounds like you want to do exactly what i did but for the September delivery, I ordered my MX in mid/late April this year and it's currently in the Tilburg factory and i'll be taking delivery of it the first week in September.

As you have suggested you wont be able to order for March delivery until it appears as a delivery slot and October sounds about right. don't worry if you select March it won't be delivered to you before that as they know your waiting on the new reg.

Online my Tesla actually says delivery late August/early September but it wont be registered until the new plates come out which is about 10days before the start of September given the date today and where my car is i half expect my car to be in the SC later this month just waiting for September to come around :)

Good luck with the order, you dont get much anymore but make sure you use a referral even if it does only get you 12 months free super charging by the time you order :)

Stephen

Well, it is as much avoiding price increases as the Supercharger offer. Tesla seem (quite rightly) intent on making a profit and since I will be ordering Autopilot and FSD I get the feeling that due to the announcements in this area they may seek to increase these options.

Fellsteruk, I intend to use Leeds instead of Stockport, so far they've just said I need to wait until October to order for March.

FSD, I've had a good think and:
I want to support/encourage Tesla in this regard;
I want to fix my price at the current level even if the upgrade price increases;
I want a free hardware upgrade to v3 which will be needed;
I fully expect some features to be enabled before FSD is ready/legal and I want to be able to use those features;

The current price is low enough (£2.8k) for me to take a punt on FSD and I intend to own the car for several years.

• Love
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I also expect some new features to come out before FSD but many of these I suspect will also go to enhanced AP customers.

With or without you'll have an amazing car, that said i'm too tall/fat for an MS, i got in but getting out was a challenge hence the MX lol

My local Tesla dealer says I can't place an order for March delivery until sometime in October, which is when the March delivery slot opens. However, I want to make sure I get the car on 1st March and would like to tie in the price and take advantage of the Supercharger offer which ends 16th September. So I'm trying to work out if ordering for a February delivery in September might work. They definitely will not allow 6-9 month advance ordering at the moment.

I wouldn’t wait until the delivery slot opens. They never custom build and deliver early. I ordered end of Oct !6 with a delivery slot of late Jan/early Feb 17. That means last two weeks of Jan / first two in Feb. Having followed the order delivery process for over a year earlier I knew there wasn’t a snowballs chance in hell of them meeting that window. Sure enough within days the delivery window moved to Feb/early March. The car went into build on 22nd Dec and I collected on the 1st March.

Although Elon has said they are moving away from the mad quarter end rush I don’t see that happening anytime soon, so as long as you collect before the end of March you’ll be fine. The 1st shouldn’t be a problem but I’m afraid anything can happen, even at the last minute.

The T&C’s state you need to take delivery within 7 days of the cars availability but I’ve never heard it be enforced. Indeed there are cases where owners wouldn’t accept delivery until just after the quarter end as the PDI’s were non existent and the delivery experience a shambles.

That said, I don’t think ordering by the 16th Sept will work. It’s too early to be pushed back to 1st March and that date is geared to maximum deliveries by 31st December. I’d also be astonished if the referral programme wasn’t reinvented yet again.

Tesla did make it quite clear in the t&cs that free supercharging is ending after 16th September. The sales guy is being honest with the knowledge he knows, they only get told changes at the very last minute

Oh I’m sure the current SuC offer is ending, and for the last few years that’s when the new one starts - although not necessarily in the same guise. The benefits have slowly been eroded too, which if they are selling all they can make (assumption) then why wouldn’t they.

I’m sure the sales chap was being honest, very often getting told at the last minute is considered advanced notice!

it is as much avoiding price increases as the Supercharger offer. Tesla seem (quite rightly) intent on making a profit and since I will be ordering Autopilot and FSD I get the feeling that due to the announcements in this area they may seek to increase these options.

The sliding pound is not helping ... Tesla may have to react to that.

I wonder if the problem for the Referral Scheme is more the SWAG than the Supercharger "cost"? Huge huge backlog of Gifts not yet supplied. The longer it is in place them more people that accumulate enough referrals to get e.g. 100% discount on Roadster II ...

Oh I’m sure the current SuC offer is ending, and for the last few years that’s when the new one starts - although not necessarily in the same guise. The benefits have slowly been eroded too, which if they are selling all they can make (assumption) then why wouldn’t they.

I think this time the Supercharger offer is really ending as they have announced what will follow after 16th September. Using a referral code will then just get 1 years free Supercharging.

I think this time the Supercharger offer is really ending as they have announced what will follow after 16th September. Using a referral code will then just get 1 years free Supercharging.

That's true, and then when they want to stimulate demand again they bring it back. I wouldn't be surprised to see something announced for Jan '19. That's the thing about buying a Tesla though, they don't have model years, they announce new features, drop features, change the interest rate, adjust the residual values on PCP - none of which is predictable. All part of the fun ;)

I was allowed to defer my order for 6 months max. I ordered right at the end of September 17 and took delivery mid Feb 18. You can't nail down a specific delivery date, but should be reasonably close. So if you want an early March delivery, you'll probably have to wait until October to order. When they do arrive they push to register them immediately, so I wouldn't count on them holding it back for you.

Seriously don't waste your money on FSD. Your couple of grand isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to its development and if you have been paying attention to the current state of EAP, you will realise that FSD is a million miles away from any sort of reality. At best you might get some token gesture features like traffic light recognition. But it's your cash to burn. Plenty of others have been suckered into it over the last few years!

Free supercharging is nice to have, but only of significant benefit if you are using it a lot. You get a free 400 kWh p.a. allowance anyway, which is more than enough for my needs, although I did get the free referral supercharging + £750 discount at the time.