Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to order parts for Model 3? Tesla wont sell to non authorized body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On EV specifically? Maybe, maybe not. But on high voltage battery systems, yes absolutely. The standards for how to protect yourself and which PPE to use has been discovered over decades of deaths and injuries. Massive DC power buses and DC battery banks in datacenters have led to fatalities, and those battery banks can be smaller than 75 or 100 kWh.

This is why interlock devices and tag in / tag out exist. People make mistakes all the time, they think they de-energized a system, and they're severely injured or dead an instant later.
Just to be clear I’m not recommending that untrained individuals work on the battery pack. I don’t think Tesla even allows certified shops to do that. Often when an accident is bad enough to damage the pack the car is totaled anyway.

Just to be clear I’m not recommending that untrained individuals work on the battery pack. I don’t think Tesla even allows certified shops to do that. Often when an accident is bad enough to damage the pack the car is totaled anyway.

Yeah, I totally understand what you were saying. I think for automotive techs specifically, there have been so few EV sold around the world compared to traditional vehicles that it would be hard to gather meaningful statistics. But I'm sure the bureau of labor or OSHA collects them somewhere.

I emailed the Owings Mill Tesla body shop photos of my 3's damage along with the estimates I already received.

Saw numerous mentions that those shops only do minor body work. Guess I'll find out what minor means to them.

Hope to hear back from them soon with good news they can handle.

Based on this literature I want a Tesla but will not purchase. I will not subject myself to a life of repair issues. If I can't get parts or get it fixed normally than it's a deal breaker. I need to be able to go to Advance Auto. After all it's not a God the company created. It's still a car built of metal.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt3y and XPsionic
Based on this literature I want a Tesla but will not purchase. I will not subject myself to a life of repair issues. If I can't get parts or get it fixed normally than it's a deal breaker. I need to be able to go to Advance Auto. After all it's not a God the company created. It's still a car built of metal.

So....

You joined TMC (today), searched for a thread that was a bit little bit over 2 years old, then posted to it as your first post, to say "I am not going to buy one of these cars"?

Status
Not open for further replies.