Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to perform brake fluid health check?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drier air would mean longer brake fluid lifetime, while high humidity would mean shorter brake fluid lifetime. But the only way to really know how much water is getting into the brake fluid is to test it periodically. Of course, then you would also need to know or guess what the threshold should be to change it.

Just changed the brake fluid on my 2 year old Model 3, and it feels good to be nice the car. Brake fluid is cheap, and it's easy to do with a vacuum bleeder, especially if you combine the job with rotating the tires.

The original brake fluid was already starting to look discolored, which is also an indicator of absorbing moisture. Most DOT 3 brake fluids are clear as water when fresh.

Go with DOT 3 because it resists absorbing water more than DOT 4, and unless you track your car, you'll never need the higher boiling point of DOT 4.

Anything special with regard to the ABS module regarding the brake bleeding procedure or just open each corner and watch the reservoir level?

I don’t bother testing the fluid, just do a brake fluid flush/exchange ever other spring when I switch from winter to summer tires. I can do all 4 vehicles tire swap and brake fluid in ~2hrs with a floor Jack one of my teens helping in our garage. I use this pressure bleeder and have the Lexus, Subaru, MB, and tesla (GM) attachments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 142
Anything special with regard to the ABS module regarding the brake bleeding procedure or just open each corner and watch the reservoir level?
My plan is just to bleed the brakes on my Model 3 every 2 years. It's easy with the Motive Products brake bleeder kit. Any older fluid in the ABS module eventually gets flushed out that way.

The alternative is to pay to get access to Toolbox 3 and use the script to activate the ABS module to work out the older fluid.

No more than we actually USE the brakes, I wouldn't worry for at least 100,000 miles or later. At least I didn't. Never a problem.

You need to change brake fluid more often than that, regardless of how much you use the brakes.

Brake fluid takes on water just by existing, it's hygroscopic. Just leave it parked for a couple years and it'll have water in it.

Reactions: GtiMart and rpiotro
For the price of brake fluid and friend's time to press the pedal (or a bleeder like above) it was worth it to me to flush out the system. It was at the 3 year mark, the fluid was looking darker vs the near clear new stuff and I felt better about doing the job.

Regardless of being an EV it's still just a hydraulic system; I'm curious @smatthew how less use is letting less air/moisture in since supposedly it's tiny exchange in the rubber lines etc.

In any case, since this care requires so little maintenance, it forced me to at least look around a bit at cv joint boots, calipers, etc like I used to do every ICE car oil change.

Reactions: Lucas007
One of things I disliked about BWM it seemed like every other time I went in it was time for a "break flush". smh

If you're tracking the car the requirement is flushing the brakes within the last 12 months. There's a big difference in brake temps between performance driving and street driving and moisture content becomes very important. Maybe BMW were being a bit overzealous, but they do market themselves as a more performance oriented brand.

I don’t bother testing the fluid, just do a brake fluid flush/exchange ever other spring when I switch from winter to summer tires. I can do all 4 vehicles tire swap and brake fluid in ~2hrs with a floor Jack one of my teens helping in our garage. I use this pressure bleeder and have the Lexus, Subaru, MB, and tesla (GM) attachments.
The power bleeder is hands down in the top 5 best investments I've made in a tool. If you're doing brakes yourself, I would consider this an absolute must have.

Reactions: coleAK
We're approaching 4 years with our Model 3, and I want to check the brake fluid. Good conversation above. Now the simple practical question: where do I check the fluid?

Also, does anyone know what Tesla does if you ask them to do it? Just moisture content, or also the copper check?

We're approaching 4 years with our Model 3, and I want to check the brake fluid. Good conversation above. Now the simple practical question: where do I check the fluid?

Also, does anyone know what Tesla does if you ask them to do it? Just moisture content, or also the copper check?

You have to pull a cover to see the tank, personally I'd just flush the system but I think the word 'check' here is probably referring to level and color?