Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I await delivery of my 85D I'm doing some trip planning...

In applying the "2/3 rated range" guideline, is it correct to assume that the rated range to use in pre-trip calculations -- the range the 85D displays as I depart -- will closely approximate 270 times the planned percentage charge?

On a related note: in the owner's manual, p. 116, in the picture of the charge settings screen, it says for the Set Charge Limit slider control that "You can charge to any level from 50% to 100% ... ." In the illustration, the slider is set to roughly half its width with an annotation of "136 [mumble]" above it. I assume [mumble] is a units designation, but the resolution in my PDF version is too low for me to read it. Is it rated miles?

Yes, multiplying 270 * (% of charge you start with), while not 100% exact, will get you pretty close to the number of miles of rated range you will start with.

I still use the "2/3 rated range" rule as a rough guideline when I want to quickly check something in my head, like whether I can safely make a trip, or roughly how long it might take including charging. But the whole idea came about before Tesla added the energy use calculator to the Navigation and Energy applications. Now, it is more accurate to enter your destination on the Navigation app, then check the "Trip" tab in the Energy application to see what you're expected to arrive with. However, there are two major caveats:

1. Tesla's software does not provide a way for you to do this in advance when you are planning a trip (especially when you don't have the car yet!). So then you have to fall back on something else for planning. I still sometimes use the 2/3 rule to do a rough check on that. When you are taking the trip, though, it makes sense to use the Nav/Energy apps.

2. Tesla's estimation software, while closer to accurate because it takes in to account specific elevation gains, speed limits, etc, is still close to a best-case guess - and then they add on a 20% buffer. They can't/don't allow for detours, speeding, headwinds, etc. It is unclear to me whether it accounts for temperature. Their 20% buffer is usually enough. But not always; you still should leave a bigger buffer if it's not a big deal to charge a little more before leaving, and you should still keep an eye on the Energy app while you are taking the trip to make sure the updated estimate still has you arriving with electrons in the tank.

All of the drama is when the battery is at or near empty. Don't get there. When you have plenty of electrons, driving an EV is sublime.

Last edited:
While I await delivery of my 85D I'm doing some trip planning...

In applying the "2/3 rated range" guideline, is it correct to assume that the rated range to use in pre-trip calculations -- the range the 85D displays as I depart -- will closely approximate 270 times the planned percentage charge?

On a related note: in the owner's manual, p. 116, in the picture of the charge settings screen, it says for the Set Charge Limit slider control that "You can charge to any level from 50% to 100% ... ." In the illustration, the slider is set to roughly half its width with an annotation of "136 [mumble]" above it. I assume [mumble] is a units designation, but the resolution in my PDF version is too low for me to read it. Is it rated miles?

Re; range, yes that would be OK. If you plan go charge to 90% the day before roadtrip, you will have 270x0.9=243 Rated miles. Maybe in the future, by slightly unbalanced or degraded battery, you could see lower range.

I'd recommend you take advantage of 100% charge the night before roadtrip. That way you will have higher flexibility about where to charge etc. Keeping the battery at 100% is not very good for the battery, you can schedule the full charge to end a few hours before departure. Don't worry, 95% or 99%, if it's close to full that's enough.

... I'd recommend you take advantage of 100% charge the night before roadtrip. That way you will have higher flexibility about where to charge etc. Keeping the battery at 100% is not very good for the battery, you can schedule the full charge to end a few hours before departure. Don't worry, 95% or 99%, if it's close to full that's enough.
I'm planning a 3,000 mile trip over five days, with 3-4 segments each day. Is there any reason to charge to a higher SoC overnight than at an inter-segment Supercharger?

I'm planning a 3,000 mile trip over five days, with 3-4 segments each day. Is there any reason to charge to a higher SoC overnight than at an inter-segment Supercharger?

Not really. I've done several long road trips.. and I only charge to the mileage to the next supercharger, plus 25% (I guess that would be a "3/4ths" rule). My trips have been usually in the summer and in lower traffic areas, so adjust accordingly. One big traffic jam or a lot of rain can really sap mileage out of the usable range. But that said, sometimes charging to 125% of my next leg only takes 10-15 minutes at a supercharger, so I might linger around for 5 or 10 extra minutes and often get 150%-200% of the rated range to the next stop, which leaves lots of cushion to drive much faster and not worry about rain or traffic, etc.

If you're staying overnight at/near a SC, then sure, charge to 95% or 100% -- that will just make future SC stops shorter, or give you more buffer, or both.

Right. There's no reason not to charge to a high level when you're going to be taking off shortly.

Exactly! Charging while you sleep costs you no extra time. For example, when I head west on I-70 from Boulder, if I charge to 95-100% the night before I leave, then it is easy to skip Silverthorne and drive directly to Glenwood Springs. If I were driving cross-country and did a Supercharger stop at Denver, on my way west, I would only charge enough to get to Silverthorne with some buffer.

Last edited:
Great post! I am jealous that all of your stops are at high rate chargers though. In Texas the best we can hope for is 50 amp service at an RV Park. Superchargers can't get here soon enough!
Hi I am a new owner of a 75 and was trying to figure out how to get to El Paso from the west coast seems like the Interstate 10 Corridor has no superchargers available. The last one is located in Casa Grande Arizona and that's almost 400 miles from El Paso. Any Ideas

Hi I am a new owner of a 75 and was trying to figure out how to get to El Paso from the west coast seems like the Interstate 10 Corridor has no superchargers available. The last one is located in Casa Grande Arizona and that's almost 400 miles from El Paso. Any Ideas
You have basically two options with the Tesla and both will add more time:
(1) Take the longer Supercharger way around.
(2) If you look on www.plugshare.com, there are RV parks for good reliable charging in a few places along the way: Willcox, AZ, Lordsburg, NM, and Deming, NM. Charging at one or two of those along the way would probably make it work, but it would also add a few hours.

Or, you might just need to rent a car for this trip. The I-10 route is a sore spot because it has been on Tesla's planned Supercharger map in 2014, 2015, 2016,....and it's still not looking like much progress.

(1) Take the longer Supercharger way around.
(2) If you look on www.plugshare.com, there are RV parks for good reliable charging in a few places along the way: Willcox, AZ, Lordsburg, NM, and Deming, NM. Charging at one or two of those along the way would probably make it work, but it would also add a few hours...

(1) Unfortunately even the "longer Supercharger way around" won't quite get you to El Paso in a 75, as it's ~270mi from Albuquerque. But it's at least better than 400.
(2) If you buy/rent/borrow a CHAdeMO adapter, you can narrow the I-10 gap to ~310mi by using one of the stations in Tucson AZ (also listed on PlugShare). CHAdeMO is currently slower and less reliable than supercharging, but still faster than an RV park.

Tesla has a few Superchargers planned to cover the I-10. The 2016 map on Tesla's website shows several Superchargers all the way to El Paso, but with just one month left this year I highly doubt they are going to open them all.

I was planning the similar thing a year ago. There are supercharger from Los Angeles to Phoenix, but that whole stretch to Houston via the 10, no Super Charger.

The alternative is to get yourself activated with a much public charging acct as possible. EV Go Charger and Charge Point are the two must have (Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations | EVgo). EV Go has some decent DC chargers that gives decent rate much better than the typical L2 charger. Chargepoint would be useful in stop area with Hotels or Shopping Plaza where you will spend hours at.

Use PlugShare where possible. If you plan it out, you can get by with the I-10 route barely. You might want to go up to Flagstaff and use I-40, there more DC chargers there and then route down.

I am thinking about driving from Chicago to South Padre island Texas. Event trip planner shows many yellow stops along the way. I planned on 400 pounds of cargo (my wife myself, the dog and suitcases) I have a S70 with about 19K on it. I am somewhat worried about the chargers in Texas south of Dallas in Waco and Edwardsville Anyone have experienced in the south Texas area? Should Ijust use our Ford SUV that gets about 17 MPH instead?

I am thinking about driving from Chicago to South Padre island Texas. Event trip planner shows many yellow stops along the way. I planned on 400 pounds of cargo (my wife myself, the dog and suitcases) I have a S70 with about 19K on it. I am somewhat worried about the chargers in Texas south of Dallas in Waco and Edwardsville Anyone have experienced in the south Texas area? Should Ijust use our Ford SUV that gets about 17 MPH instead?

You can't change weather or temperature. But you can adjust speed and that makes a big difference. Once you drive, keep an eye on the trip energy graph. It shows at what battery percentage you will arrive. As you drive you will see how the graph adjusts. Just adjust your speed accordingly. It will actually tell you to stay below a certain speed if it gets close. In my experience those warnings are very conservative. I was usually able to drive about 10 mph faster and still make it. So if you follow the car's recommendation, you will be fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Has anyone gone from Orange County to Bakersfield? I have to go up there for work, and the farthest I've gone is OC to San Diego.

I was planning on stopping at the Tejon Ranch chargers, but I'm scared I won't make it because I'm expecting a lot of traffic (especially through LA!), even though it says it is only 121 miles to the Tejon chargers.

I also looked up this charging station on Yelp, and it looks like it's really busy, and the chargers are slow. Has anyone been there? Are there times that are less crowded? I'm also worried I'll be super late to my meeting if I have to wait 45 minutes to plug in, and then another 45 minutes to charge.

Thank you!

Has anyone gone from Orange County to Bakersfield? I have to go up there for work, and the farthest I've gone is OC to San Diego.

I was planning on stopping at the Tejon Ranch chargers, but I'm scared I won't make it because I'm expecting a lot of traffic (especially through LA!), even though it says it is only 121 miles to the Tejon chargers.

I also looked up this charging station on Yelp, and it looks like it's really busy, and the chargers are slow. Has anyone been there? Are there times that are less crowded? I'm also worried I'll be super late to my meeting if I have to wait 45 minutes to plug in, and then another 45 minutes to charge.

Thank you!

I just drove from OC to Somona (30 min north of San Fran). I had no issues at all, going there on a Sunday.
First leg from Brea to Bakersfield is about 160 miles and driving fast I ended up using almost 200 rated miles. In other words, if you charge your car to 100%, you will easily make it to Bakersfield. It's about a 2 hours drive. There is always Tejon Ranch if you really think you need to charge earlier. And a few miles up is Buttonville. You have plenty of options. And since there are so many Superchargers, chances you have to wait in a line are very slim.
BTW, lots of traffic doesn't lead to higher energy usage. Most of the time it actually decreases energy usage. The highest energy using is going really fast on a clear freeway. Going in typical OC/LA freeway traffic where your average speed is maybe 50-60 you will end up using much less energy. Even in bad traffic where you only go at 30-40 mph you will end up using less energy than going full speed.

I did charge at Tejon Ranch on the way back. No problems, fast and reliable.

Reactions: hiroshiy