TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ChadS, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#161 ChadS, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    In 2010 there were indeed closer electric outlets, but the closest charging station (EVSE) was 700 miles away. And it was indeed no better than a household outlet, as it was a 120V Chargepoint unit at a brewing company in Chico, CA. When I arrived, they told me I was the first one to use it. I got about 4 miles while I ate dinner with a friend.

So as Jerry said, I had to use RV parks to get there; at 240V 40A they were considerably more help than a 120V EVSE. But still too slow - so several Roadster owners called businesses and got them to install 240V 70A Roadster chargers.We had that network covering I-5 from Canada to Mexico in 2011. I drove my Roadster to various points in California about twice a year, so those chargers were really handy.

I didn't get to use a Supercharger until January 2013.

• Like x 1