TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to plan out a Supercharger only route

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by mmcinerny, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mmcinerny

mmcinerny Member

Does anyone know of a tool to help plan out a road-trip using only superchargers for recharging? I know about the supercharger map on the Tesla Motors page but that doesn't let you select charge stations and build a route with driving distances, directions, and drive times. I have tried creating a route manually with maps.google.com, but it stopped working after 24 stops. I need more than 24 stops to get from Atlanta to Seattle. I also know about the Supercharger button on the 17" touchscreen in the car when in Nav mode, but I want to plan the trip out ahead of time.

Click this link to see an Example of that I am looking for but I need more than 24 stops. I need about twice that. Yes I know I can create two routes, each with 24 stops at superchargers, but if someone out there has a better solution I would like to use it. Even better would be a tool that you put in a start location like Atlanta and and end location like Seattle and it would plot out the route with the stops at all the appropreate Superchargers.

Silver Model S P85

2. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

#2 MassX1317, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Superchargers

I love this map, you can change your range and it will put a circle around how far that range will take you from the supercharger.

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Wasn't this supposed to be a feature of the nav screen itself? Maybe now that the network spans the county, that feature will be added or unveiled.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It should be the same as planning a trip not using Superchargers. The main difference will be the charging time. I've just used a spreadsheet.

5. umuhk

umuhk Member

Just today I used Microsoft MapPoint to plan a route from my home to Las Vegas (for a road trip to a conference this summer). I have a spreadsheet with the Supercharger addresses in it; I linked that sheet to the MapPoint map, and then added the superchargers to my route plan, setting each for a 30min stopover. I set MapPoint to my usual road-trip driving schedule (leave around 9am, stop driving around 6pm), and the route showed it will take two overnights (near Ashland OR and Los Banos CA) to get to Las Vegas. Also shows no more than about 140mi between Supercharger stops (and around 160mi between the Barstow SC and Vegas).

Though I didn't do it for this trip (since I'm routing along the Supercharger corridor), MapPoint can also track estimated range and suggest where along a route you'd need to charge. I've been using MapPoint to plan road trips for many years -- and before that, its older brother Streets & Trips.

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

That map is awesome!!

What I hate most about the one on the TeslaMotors site, is that they expect you to know where every city in every state is.

Coming down from WA to CA, I have no idea where e.g. Buellton vs. Vacaville vs. Folsom is, so I've just been randomly copying and pasting addresses into google maps till I find the one I'm looking for. What a pain.

7. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Just reading that you are planning a trip from Atlanta to Seattle in your Tesla makes me smile :smile:

So no help, just encouragement !

8. mmcinerny

mmcinerny Member

Thank you this is perfect!

9. TTT

TTT Member

My MS is on order, but I have been playing around with the Supercharger.info site on my iPad. Is there anyway to save a planned route? Is it possible to download a planned site to my car's nav system or do I need to sit in my car for hours to re-enter the planned route?

10. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Try evtripplanner as well. http://evtripplanner.com

Can't send to car but great for planning out required charge level at each supercharger.

11. mellington

mellington Member

I have just been looking at the map and have a question. How is a stall defined? Is a stall a parking space or a supercharger supporting 2 spaces?

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Stall is one parking space where one car can charge. Each supercharger cabinet services two stalls. The two cars or stalls share the combined power output of the single supercharger cabinet.

Occasionally there are an odd number of stalls. This means one of the stalls has it's own supercharger cabinet and is not sharing. Most of the pedestals for the stalls are labeled and you can figure out which one it is.

13. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

PlugShare (www.plugshare.com) also has a trip planner, but it's relatively simple. You enter in your start and endpoints, and it will show you all the chargers along the route within a certain radius. You have to do your own planning w/r/t charge times, etc.

14. Ethan Wayne

Ethan Wayne New Member

What map?

What map are you referring to?

15. RichardL

RichardL Member

It was a bad, or old link

I think it should be supercharge.info

16. CurtGentry

CurtGentry Member

I like this website a lot. You can even change your "Speed Multiplier" to have it utilize what speed you actually plan to drive throughout your trip.

17. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

EVTripPlanner works very well. Remember that the speed multiplier is a multiplier of average speed on each segment, not the speed limit.

18. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

I did a sample route on my home computer yesterday for Chapel Hill NC to Columbia SC via Superchargers. Oddly, it directed me down I-95 from Lumberton NC to Santee SC then up to Columbia, even though there was range to make the much faster and shorter direct segment from Lumberton to Columbia via I-20. Any ideas why?

19. evp

evp Nerd

Fun fact to know and tell: you can type things like "Lusk Supercharger" or "Madison supercharger" into Google Maps, it seems to know exactly where they all are.

(Oddly, it doesn't get the location of the Denver DIA charger correct even though it knows the correct address -- that's a very bizarre bug.)

20. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It knows because someone told it where it is. That's the power of Google. If the Denver DIA charger is incorrect after you search for it, just click the "Suggest an edit" link and drag the marker to the exact location. Eventually, it will learn the correct location.