Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prevent charging cars from battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we have both tesla cars and solar+battery. Last night, we lost power during sleep. Since the car was being charged, it drained powerwall down to <20% from full in about 4 hours. Is there any way to prevent charging EVs from battery?

we have both tesla cars and solar+battery. Last night, we lost power during sleep. Since the car was being charged, it drained powerwall down to <20% from full in about 4 hours. Is there any way to prevent charging EVs from battery?
In the Tesla app you can control Powerwall EV charging during a grid outage, goto Settings/EV charging in the Tesla app

Tesla has information about this on their website:

(text from the tesla URL above)

Vehicle Charging During Power Outage​

Powerwall coordinates with Tesla vehicles for enhanced vehicle charging during a power outage without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall. Powerwall continuously responds to the changing power needs of your home and will slow or stop your vehicle's charging to keep your home loads powered.
Connector icon

Charging Threshold​

The charging threshold lets you balance your home and transportation energy needs, putting you in full control of your energy ecosystem. You can control your charging threshold on the 'Settings' screen for your home in the Tesla app.
The charging threshold determines how much energy Powerwall can share with your vehicle, and directs Powerwall to stop charging your vehicle when it discharges below your set percentage. Sharing more of Powerwall’s stored energy with your vehicle may decrease the potential backup duration for your home.
Threshold icon

Charging Current​

During a power outage, or while off-grid, your Tesla vehicle will charge at up to the max charging current set in your Tesla vehicle. As your home loads vary, Powerwall will limit your vehicle’s charging current to ensure Powerwall can continue to support your home.
Outage icon

Power Outage While Charging​

When a power outage happens, Powerwall will continue, slow or stop charging any connected Tesla vehicle based on Powerwall’s stored energy and your set threshold. If charging stops, you’ll be able to resume vehicle charging by lowering your charge threshold, waiting for the power outage to end or waiting for solar to recharge your Powerwall above your threshold.
Solar icon

Solar Integration​

If your home is equipped with solar and your vehicle is plugged in and charging while the sun is shining, Powerwall will continue to share any surplus solar with your vehicle after Powerwall discharges to your set energy threshold. Sharing surplus solar helps you maximize the value of your solar installation, even during a power outage.
Powerwall’s stored energy will remain at your set threshold as long as there is surplus solar available. Powerwall will automatically stop charging your vehicle and will begin to discharge to power your home when there is no longer surplus solar to support vehicle charging.

Detailed Charging Behavior​

POWER STATEHOME ELECTRIC LOADSCHARGING BEHAVIOR
On GridAny LoadVehicle charges as normal
Power outage with Powerwall above energy threshold (or optionally with surplus solar)Low LoadsVehicle charges with surplus power and energy
High LoadsVehicle slows charging to prioritize your home loads
Power outage with Powerwall below energy thresholdAny LoadVehicle stops charging

Your Tesla vehicle will display a status message on the interior display if Powerwall slows or stops your vehicle charging session. Vehicle charging may not automatically restart if charging stops.
Most charging issues can be resolved by reseating the charging handle. In the unlikely event that your charging connector is unresponsive, restart power for the connector, or press the 'Reset' button.

Compatible Home and Vehicle Configurations​

Powerwall compatible home and vehicle configurations

This coordinated charging feature is available for Tesla vehicles using any wall connector, including the Tesla Wall Connector and Mobile Connector. Your wall connector must be on a circuit backed up by Powerwall. If your Powerwall does not provide whole home backup, your wall connector should be located on your essential loads sub panel to support charging during a power outage. This feature behaves identically for owners with an off-grid Powerwall.
Charging during a power outage will not affect the overall life of Powerwall or your vehicle’s battery. Tesla vehicles charging from your Powerwall during a power outage do not need to be connected to your Tesla Account, and no internet connection is necessary to support this charging feature.

Supported Versions​

• Powerwall: 1.46+
  • Tesla Mobile App: 3.10.2+
  • Model 3/Model Y – North America: 2019.40.1+
  • Model S/Model X (2014 and later) – North America: 2020.32+
  • All Tesla Vehicles in Other Regions: 2020.40

Charging during a power outage will not affect the overall life of Powerwall or your vehicle’s battery. Tesla vehicles charging from your Powerwall during a power outage do not need to be connected to your Tesla Account, and no internet connection is necessary to support this charging feature.

I have a question about this if anyone knows, I have a Model 3, and my roommate has a Model X and I have a whole house backup in my home with dual powerwalls. Without connecting his vehicle to my account, how does Tesla know / the system know to turn off the Model X from charging if my home enters off grid mode if we don't connect the two vehicles to the same app?

Also since we live in a new home construction, our addresses are not the same on the app either since it doesn't exist in the mapping system.
Sounds like I found an answer in this post. Tesla most likely uses frequency shifting to disconnect all the vehicles from charging.

If the batteries are full it will shift frequency up.
If its over discharge, it will shift frequency down to disconnect Tesla cars.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain the feature doesn't require any sort of connectivity or account pairing to function. As you propose above it's some manner of frequency shifting or powerline communications between the powerwall gateway and Tesla charging equipment.

We just have the exact problem of the power wall draining and the app does not have the the EV charging setting option? We are in the UK if that makes any difference...?

1. How new is your install?
2. To confirm, you are aware that the option being discussed is only active during a power outage, right? It has zero bearing on TESLA EV charging during regular grid operation, and also has no bearing that I am aware of in the slightest on any other brand EV other than Tesla.... you are also aware of this, right?

1. How new is your install?
2. To confirm, you are aware that the option being discussed is only active during a power outage, right? It has zero bearing on TESLA EV charging during regular grid operation, and also has no bearing that I am aware of in the slightest on any other brand EV other than Tesla.... you are also aware of this, right?
Thanks for pointing that out - the documentation doesn't make it clear. I just commissioned my Powerwall system this week and would really like to know that my Model S won't try to charge during a power outage unless I take action. If the setting only appears in the app during a power outage, will I will have to take action to raise the charging threshold to 100% every time? Or, does the threshold stay set for the next power outage event? Finally, will the setting show up if I put the Powerwall into Off-Grid mode through the app?

Thanks for pointing that out - the documentation doesn't make it clear. I just commissioned my Powerwall system this week and would really like to know that my Model S won't try to charge during a power outage unless I take action. If the setting only appears in the app during a power outage, will I will have to take action to raise the charging threshold to 100% every time? Or, does the threshold stay set for the next power outage event? Finally, will the setting show up if I put the Powerwall into Off-Grid mode through the app?

The setting doesnt only appear when you are off grid. The setting only is in effect when you are off grid. If you dont have the setting at all, you will just need to wait, as it can take a couple of weeks for all the options to appear in your tesla app.

running off grid or not wont make the option appear, sorry if thats what it sounded like I said. It just doesnt take effect when you are on the grid, and if you dont have it yet, and its been 14 days or more since your install, then perhaps you should call tesla energy support for the UK and ask them about it.

I dont know if you have to have permission to operate to engage the setting, since my system was commissioned and had permission to operate before tesla added this setting to the app.

The setting doesnt only appear when you are off grid. The setting only is in effect when you are off grid. If you dont have the setting at all, you will just need to wait, as it can take a couple of weeks for all the options to appear in your tesla app.

running off grid or not wont make the option appear, sorry if thats what it sounded like I said. It just doesnt take effect when you are on the grid, and if you dont have it yet, and its been 14 days or more since your install, then perhaps you should call tesla energy support for the UK and ask them about it.

I don't know if you have to have permission to operate to engage the setting, since my system was commissioned and had permission to operate before tesla added this setting to the app.
That helps - thank you. I had no idea that it might take a couple of weeks before all of the options I am reading about become available. I will put this on the back burner for a couple of weeks and then enter Off-Grid mode again to see if it appears. Assuming it does, will the threshold that I set be saved for any future power outage? Or, will I have to react to the notification in order to manually change the threshold whenever power is lost?

That helps - thank you. I had no idea that it might take a couple of weeks before all of the options I am reading about become available. I will put this on the back burner for a couple of weeks and then enter Off-Grid mode again to see if it appears. Assuming it does, will the threshold that I set be saved for any future power outage? Or, will I have to react to the notification in order to manually change the threshold whenever power is lost?

As @power.saver mentioned, it stays until you change it.

Here are a couple of screenshots I just took of what the option looks like when its in your Tesla app. These screenshots were taken from opening the tesla app, ensuring its on the tesla energy screen (not a vehicle, if you have one) then selecting SETTINGS from the tesla energy screen:

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 1.54.55 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 1.56.57 PM.jpg

Here are a couple of screenshots I just took of what the option looks like when its in your Tesla app. These screenshots were taken from opening the tesla app, ensuring its on the tesla energy screen (not a vehicle, if you have one) then selecting SETTINGS from the tesla energy screen:

View attachment 892721View attachment 892722
Thank you very much for clarifying how the setting works and how it's saved once set until changed. And, the screenshots are very helpful to reinforce that I should see a new item under Energy Settings once the feature is activated in my setup (which I hope happens by the end of next week). Obviously, I am new to the forum, but I want to say how helpful it has been and that I am sure that I will visit again. If things go really well, maybe I can contribute some of my own learnings in the future!

Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t just show up on its own. I’ve had my battery system for almost a year, and still haven’t seen this option. Support tried to tell me it has something to do with m6 location, but I don’t see how that’s likely. If you do call support, please let me know what you did to get them to enable it for you.

• Informative
Reactions: wiltoking

Ah nice too see it’s still there, we just got solar and was going through all the options but couldn’t find it. Was begining to wonder if it got removed. Do we need PTO before it gets enabled? Or is it just a matter of time like you said?

Ah nice too see it’s still there, we just got solar and was going through all the options but couldn’t find it. Was begining to wonder if it got removed. Do we need PTO before it gets enabled? Or is it just a matter of time like you said?
My Powerwall system (no solar) went live 10 days ago with PTO from my utility. The vehicle charging threshold option is still missing, but I am hopeful that it will show up on day 14 like was mentioned before. The Tesla partner who installed my system is onsite today and is trying to contact Tesla to make sure that it's not something in the setup or on their account options that is preventing it from showing up. Interestingly enough, when I go off-grid and then activate charging on my Model S, the vehicle lowers the amperage and displays a message indicating that the car is charging off-grid. That tells me that something is working ... just without the threshold setting being available.

The Tesla partner technician seems to believe that the option is only available in systems WITH solar. If that's true, I will be very unhappy. Arguably, the ability to control the threshold is more important WITHOUT solar since there is no way to recharge the Powerwall batteries until the grid comes back online - making "load shedding" of the vehicle that much more important IMHO. Can anyone verify whether or not this threshold is available for standalone Powerwall systems like mine?

The Tesla partner technician seems to believe that the option is only available in systems WITH solar. If that's true, I will be very unhappy. Arguably, the ability to control the threshold is more important WITHOUT solar since there is no way to recharge the Powerwall batteries until the grid comes back online - making "load shedding" of the vehicle that much more important IMHO. Can anyone verify whether or not this threshold is available for standalone Powerwall systems like mine?
Update: I am well past the 14 day mark and I still don't have the EV Charging setting when I go into "Off-Grid" mode. I also haven't gotten any good answers from the Tesla Partner who installed my system. My next stop is to call the Tesla Powerwall support team directly to see if they can help.

If you set it to 100% will solar throttle because powerwalls are full.