Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to prevent chips on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With about 300 miles on the MS 90D, yesterday my windshield was loaded with small sparkles during sunset. A careful cleaning helped remove the cause, most likely tree sap or other material flying about in the springtime.

Another reason for imperfections can be the use of microfiber towels. The small fibers will shed onto the glass surface that appear under certain conditions.

I did notice a few ultra fine scratches on the windshield with close observation outside in the sunlight. They appear to be in the direction of cleaning. While it could have happened during delivery preparation, I will replace my windshield squeegee just in case. I use my own squeegee on long trips while charging up.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I don't find this glass to be more susceptible to chips or the small pits than my other cars. I did get a star crack from a rock very early on. Oh boy! Was I pissed. I got it filled and after 2 years, it seems to be coming back, but not growing. ime to go back in.

I do have a question about the exterior films: do they get marred by the wipers and then give you halos at night, or are they self healing? Are they legal in CA? I would definitely invest in that if it works as I would hope.

Thanks!

In Florida and a few other states, if your auto insurance policy has comprehensive coverage, you have options when it comes to this issue. Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible, or, in other words, for “free.” Also, the policy holder has sole discretion over who repairs the windshield provided it is from a reputable business.

Here's some more info...
Will Insurance Repair a Car Windshield for Free in Florida?

I've heard others say that because of the angle of the windshield on the Tesla Model S, it somehow becomes more of a magnet for major rock chips/cracks as well as the micro pits from sand particles. I guess it depends a lot on how much freeway driving you do, because the trucks and sheer number of cars around...it's like a wind tunnel of sand particles.

Anyways, my detailer also says don't cover the windshield with any exterior product. The difference is that regular PPF on body panels doesn't have to be optically clear. And over time, the currently available products will all become hazy or marred from the sandstorm as well as the wiperblades. You'd rather have a windshield with micro pitting than a film that turns hazy and look old like hell. True windshield replacement is expensive, but I am led to believe that film gets hazy and less old bad much sooner than any of us would choose to replace a windshield for micro pitting. So you'd end up possibly replacing the film to restore optical clarity maybe 3-4 times before you would have considered replacing the named windshield. Of course, a film like Xpel would be great for rock strikes to a point...but at some point you could still get a cracked windshield even with the covering.

I think the best thing now is to coat with one of the nano ceramic coatings provide another thin layer of protection. The problem is that windshield glass these days is too hard and brittle, and it chips easily. I'm wondering whether a spray on cleaner/sealant exists as a regular maintenance...like waxing your windshield with an ultra clear compound to fill in the pits

I've heard others say that because of the angle of the windshield on the Tesla Model S, it somehow becomes more of a magnet for major rock chips/cracks as well as the micro pits from sand particles. I guess it depends a lot on how much freeway driving you do, because the trucks and sheer number of cars around...it's like a wind tunnel of sand particles.

Anyways, my detailer also says don't cover the windshield with any exterior product. The difference is that regular PPF on body panels doesn't have to be optically clear. And over time, the currently available products will all become hazy or marred from the sandstorm as well as the wiperblades. You'd rather have a windshield with micro pitting than a film that turns hazy and look old like hell. True windshield replacement is expensive, but I am led to believe that film gets hazy and less old bad much sooner than any of us would choose to replace a windshield for micro pitting. So you'd end up possibly replacing the film to restore optical clarity maybe 3-4 times before you would have considered replacing the named windshield. Of course, a film like Xpel would be great for rock strikes to a point...but at some point you could still get a cracked windshield even with the covering.

I think the best thing now is to coat with one of the nano ceramic coatings provide another thin layer of protection. The problem is that windshield glass these days is too hard and brittle, and it chips easily. I'm wondering whether a spray on cleaner/sealant exists as a regular maintenance...like waxing your windshield with an ultra clear compound to fill in the pits

I tried ClearPlex on my S85D and had to replace it twice over the life of owning the car. Benefit is that when I pulled it off before selling it the windshield was still in like new condition. The NEGATIVE is that it costs about $450 per application and that is out of your pocket. I decided that on my new S100D I will just use CeramiPro glass and if it get a bad rock bite, I'll use my insurance free glass replacement and have no out of pocket expense. $900 to keep a clean windshield, although towards the end of each application it was terrible sandblasted, is a lot more than having insurance replace it as necessary at no cost. \i/

I dont recommend Clearplex for a daily driver, it scratches easily and distorts vision at night... it is meant for track use.

Telsa windshields are no worse than any other car.. Audi, BMW, Jeep, Porsche all chip easily from my experience.

Being a more aware driver will help the most, when you see a dump truck, cement truck, or any kind of big rig get over and accelerate past them. Blows my my mind when people driving really expensive cars tailgate those kinds of vehicles.

I dont recommend Clearplex for a daily driver, it scratches easily and distorts vision at night... it is meant for track use.

Telsa windshields are no worse than any other car.. Audi, BMW, Jeep, Porsche all chip easily from my experience.

Being a more aware driver will help the most, when you see a dump truck, cement truck, or any kind of big rig get over and accelerate past them. Blows my my mind when people driving really expensive cars tailgate those kinds of vehicles.

That's excellent advice!

I also think that the glass is inferior to glass from years past; I have had lots of pitting, but more aggravating are the way the glass cracks too easily. My 2017 MS 75D is about to get its third windshield and second roof in only 14 months of driving. I do over 4,500 km (2,857 mi) per month, so I have already got over 64,000 km (40,000 mi) highway miles. Each crack was caused by small stones flying off of a truck that I passed at speeds from 80 kph (50 mph) to 120 kph (75 mph). I do not drive on gravel roads, although I grew up in the country on gravel roads and never had glass breaks even when hit by stones. I have had cracked glass before over the years, but NEVER this often on one car in just one year.
I did have 3M film installed by Andrew at Auto Trim Design of London, and it has been great for impact protection of the body panels, but it was not appropriate for glass. I should also add that I have had all of my glass treated with Ceramic Pro when I had the paint treated after the 3M film; it does nothing to protect glass against impacts, but the installer had warned me that it was simply for hydroscopic properties and not impact protection. I have had the Ceramic Pro on my paint for a year, I love how it makes it easier to clean and keeps a great shine.
The replacement cost of the Tesla MS windshield is C$1,400 (US$1,060) and the glass roof is C$1,000 (US$758); with labour it will be close to C$3,000 (US$2,270)!! My insurance will pay most of that cost; however, this is the second claim in a year, so I think that if I do not do something to protect the glass, my insurance rates will start to go up, which I do not want.
I have had glass repair companies say they can fix the cracks (see attached photos), but I have had that repair done before (even on my MS) and I can always see the left-over cracks which bugs me, so I am not going that way to fix this issue. I have been doing research on how to protect the new glass and have called several installers in Ontario and Quebec, Canada. The ClearPlex is no longer being installed by any of them because they did not have good results: some diffraction/distortion but all of them were not happy with the yellowing over time. The film had to be replaced regularly. About half of the installers did not have an alternative option and no longer put film on windshields.
The other half of the installers have switched to a nanotechnology film by Alchemy called ExoShield for glass protection. Alchemy has quite a few installers in Canada and the US. I am so frustrated with my Tesla glass problem that I am going to try this newer technology: the windshield film will cost C$400 (US$300) installed plus tax and the roof glass film will cost about C$600 (US$450). The glass gets replaced by Tesla Service Centre next week (29 Aug) and the film will go on immediately after it leaves Tesla SC. I will give an update in September 2018 to let you know how it works.

Attachments

• Cracked Windshield and Roof - Overall View (low res).jpg
    Cracked Windshield and Roof - Overall View (low res).jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Cracked Windshield and Roof - Close-up View (low res).jpg
    Cracked Windshield and Roof - Close-up View (low res).jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Where do you people drive? I've been driving for 35 years and never lost a windshield. Does Mercedes purchase windshields from the planet Krypton, or have I just been really, really, really lucky?

Funny that you mention this...I feel like the windshield is super weak. This was literally 1 month into my new car. You must be really lucky! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 90