Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How to PROPERLY care for your Leather Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the car the leather seats were really dry, hard, pale, didn't look like leather at all but some fake leather of some sort. I got some Lexol 3-in-1 leather care on and the seats look and feel a lot better, but I suspect Tesla haven't used the best leather. There are pics on this forum from people who have had quite significant wear of the leather seats already, and I could see some of the same signs in my drivers seat, so get those seats protected people!

Lexol 3-in-1 was ok, left the seats nice and soft and non-sticky, but I'll probably try a different product the next time.

I suggest checking out the Leather Institute web site. They also sell some excellent leather care products.

+1

Leather conditioning and protecting seems to be more art than science right now. Many car and couch leathers have a wax finish to help protect against stains, but the wax does wear out over time. But, applying a conditioner over wax may not do much good if the wax is in good shape, since it'll be a barrier to the conditioner. I haven't gotten completely straight answers when I've asked leather reupholsters or furniture makers.

Help! I used some Armor All Leather wipes to try to wipe the back seat of my Tesla (black leather) and it left this nasty residue on them. check out this picture which shows the difference between the treated and untreated parts of the back seat.

Any ideas on how to get it to come out?

Thanks

nu6a7yza.jpg

Help! I used some Armor All Leather wipes to try to wipe the back seat of my Tesla (black leather) and it left this nasty residue on them. check out this picture which shows the difference between the treated and untreated parts of the back seat.

Thanks

nu6a7yza.jpg

...oh, boy. Maybe time for a professional consultation...
Might try Griot's Garage products--they do have a gentle interior cleaner I have used on leather. I do like their leather care products.
YMMV.

Thanks

nu6a7yza.jpg

Ouch! This guy got it out using... some handwashable Woolite and water at a 6 to 1 ratio. So 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite. After you fill up your spray bottle (32 oz is ideal) then spray the cleaner onto a microfiber towel and begin wiping the leather down.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/concours-and-car-care/344985-removing-armor-all-or-something-from-all-leather-interior.html

A beautiful clean and care for leather interior is a source of tremendous pride for automobile owners. Modern day leather consist of a variety of natural and synthetic materials. Not many vehicles actually use just raw leather and most of them have a coating on them to help protect against wear and tear. These materials are likely to drying out and braking down over time so regular maintenance is very important.

Caring for virtually any type of leather involves the same basic steps -Clean, Condition, Protect. Over time dirt, human oils, sweat, etc work themselves deep in to the seat making them challenging to remove. A good leather cleaner should separate those contaminants and bring them to the surface for removal SAFELY. A quality leather conditioner will help keep the leather soft and supple while remaining strong and durable. Quality leather cleaners and conditioners shouldn't leave a shiny or oily (slippery) finish behind. Finally some protection will help prevent UV fading while preserving the color and finish for years to come.

Your leather should receive a good conditioning at least once a year (twice a year if the car spends most of its time parked outside under the brutal Florida sun). Conditioning any more than that shouldn't be necessary.

With PROPER care your leather trim will look and feel like new year round while protecting and in many times increasing the resale value of your automobile.

Hope you enjoyed this article.

Pete Borras
Master Detailer

Thanks. Could you describe the process of using the products like Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil? What do you use to apply the cleaner and conditioner (what kind of towel or cloth), how much...etc. Thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-Restoration-Products-16oz-Kit/dp/B0002SPCBW/ref=pd_sbs_misc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EEXA3XDMKMB565FRCAS

I would clean it with Swissvax leather cleaner using a brush and then wipe with Swissvax leather milk. There's probably just a film on the leather, which is typically coated in 99% of cars these days.

BTW: stay away from Armor All products. Probably good for your 1979 Toyota Corona, but not your 2014 Tesla.

I would clean it with Swissvax leather cleaner using a brush and then wipe with Swissvax leather milk. There's probably just a film on the leather, which is typically coated in 99% of cars these days.

BTW: stay away from Armor All products. Probably good for your 1979 Toyota Corona, but not your 2014 Tesla.

I've never trusted any commercial leather products - not any of them -- no matter what detailers say or prefer. Armor All stuff is total junk along with many of the other commercial products, many with overblown reputations, and many of which do more harm than good.

I've dealt with a premium leather manufacturer and finisher for about 15 years and they recommend leather care products from the Leather Institute -- an organization formed by the industry. I use their products to care for my Model S's leather once a year -- that's enough. Greater frequency is not only unnecessary but harmful, unless, of course, the leather suffers some unusual damage, like the Armor All incident cited.

So sorry to see the problems caused by ArmorAll. I stopped using their products do to having problems myself in the past. I'm sure you can find a fix. I have used griot's leather cleaner and protector products on my Acura for 8 years and have been very happy with them. The driver's seat, which is really the only one that gets wear for me, looks great and I absolutely love the smell. I've used many other products over the years and I am no pro, but I been happiest with Griot's. I am debating doing the Opti-Guard treatment when I get my Model S.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Seeing this thread come back got me thinking about a leather problem I currently have. Attached is a picture of the side of the driver's seat as you enter the car. As you can see, it is showing wrinkles like crazy. No other leather is showing this wear. Car owned for 6 months so it's not excessively old and I live in Seattle so it's not like it's baking in 100 degree heat year-round. I originally did nothing to my leather as the manual warns against using conditioners but now with this problem arising I'm wondering if I need to do something to reverse this? Is this normal?

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!

image-2.jpeg

Seeing this thread come back got me thinking about a leather problem I currently have.

All of my cars with leather eventually looked like that, but at 6 months it seems a little early. Mine with 32,000 miles and 18 months use doesn't look quite that wrinkled yet. Perhaps it the way you enter the car... putting a lot of weight on that side bolster when you sit down???