Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How to PROPERLY care for your Leather Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FI PETE.
Maybe you (or anyone else) know the difference. I'd like to comment on you mentioning 303 protectant.
I have been using this protectant for years. I was running low and went to the store I normally buy this product. The label has changed and the smell of them are not the same. I'm wondering if they still can be used as before.
The 1st pic (has 2 bottles shown) The one on the right is the one I was using for years. The left is the one I just bought. The new one just shows a boat, no car or RV. That is the one the sales person said was the same as the old.
I found another pic ( not at store) of seemingly the new design bottle and it has the car included. I have to check to see if they get a hold of this one.
Is there much difference in these shown? The one with just the boat says OK for rubber tires and truck/hood rubber seals. But I don't know what I can't use it for.
Thanks for any input.

.View attachment 62323View attachment 62324

It's the same great product, just a different label...Excuse my late reply

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now that I've read this, I decided to go with Leatherique.

On the 303, look at the one gallon (which is what I buy because I use it on everything; cars, outside furniture, grill cover etc.) It has auto, marine on it still.

Leatherique pristine clean is what you want to use for maintenance cleaning of your leather trim and the rejuvenation oil I would recommend it once a year. Other great products out there are Leather Masters Soft Cleaner, Vital Cream Protection Cream or Dr Beasley's Leather Cream and Leather Lock. One thing to keep in mind is that 303 is not a conditioner it's a protectant that offers excellent UV protection.

It's the same great product, just a different label...Excuse my late reply

- - - Updated - - -

Leatherique pristine clean is what you want to use for maintenance cleaning of your leather trim and the rejuvenation oil I would recommend it once a year. Other great products out there are Leather Masters Soft Cleaner, Vital Cream Protection Cream or Dr Beasley's Leather Cream and Leather Lock. One thing to keep in mind is that 303 is not a conditioner it's a protectant that offers excellent UV protection.

That was my plan. The 303 I put on everything esp the outside rubbers to protect against UV. The leatherique is for cleaning and conditioning. I am going to wait until its a bit warmer here in Chicago to do the conditioner though.

@First Impression

I know it's an old thread, hoping you're still around. I used a leather wipe thingy (can remember the brand, basic stuff I had available...) to clean the leather section of a door panel and noticed this morning that it left streaks everywhere...how would you approach this? Warm towel first? I sure don't want to make it worse...

Many thanks.

Many of the towel wipes leave product that has to be buffed away with a microfiber towel in order to level and absorb excess. What cleaning products do you have at your disposal?

Sometimes reapplying the cleaning (all-in-one or 3 in 1) product can help level the excess product previously applied and then you can buff dry with a microfiber. I think the best approach is to use a dedicated leather cleaner and then apply a dedicated leather conditioner. There are a lot of opinions on this thread about what is the best and a few people who will use only X product. The Tesla leather is nothing special. You can use anything from a dilute all purpose cleaner to a very expensive cleaner and rejuvenator. You can try a damp warm microfiber, but I would make sure you have something to completely dry the panels and condition them afterwards. If it makes you feel any better, I myself have noticed that my leather door panels streak more than any other place in the car.

Products I have used on the leather & vinyl with good success:
1. Kenotek
2. Swissvax
3. McKee's
4. Meguiar's
5. Wolfgang
6. Blackfire
7. Gyeon
8. Poorboys

Any of those will make fine leather cleaners and conditioners. My current favorite is Kenotek leather/vinyl cleaner and conditioner. You can get it on Amazon or through Autogeek + others.

@First Impression

I know it's an old thread, hoping you're still around. I used a leather wipe thingy (can remember the brand, basic stuff I had available...) to clean the leather section of a door panel and noticed this morning that it left streaks everywhere...how would you approach this? Warm towel first? I sure don't want to make it worse...

Many thanks.

Many of those leather wipes are 2in1 products that just like a shampoo and conditioner in one bottle, it doesn't do a very good job at either cleaning or conditioning the leather or vinyl trim. I recommend getting a mild leather cleaner such as CarPro Inside, Gtechniq Tri-Clean or Dr Beasley's Leather Cleanser. All of these products will clean your leather properly without streaking it.

Another very simple and safe cleaner you can make yourself. Take a 32oz spray bottle, fill it with water and add 5-6 drops of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (not the shampoo and conditioner). This will make a good maintenance cleaner for your leather, vinyl and suede trim.

I Hope this helps

@First Impression I know you talked about Lexol 3 in 1 but I have always used their deep leather cleaner. I actually have a 1L bottle of it because I like it so much on my BMW. I always just work up a lather and then wipe off using a wet microfiber after letting it soak in for a few moments. Do you have any best practices other than what I am doing in terms of Lexol?

Also, I didn't see any replies about the alcantara care. Is there anything we should be doing with that?

Last edited:
For years I've known a leather company in upstate New York that manufactures custom leather products for high end aircraft and show cars. Of course, they make top quality products. They tell me that most of the commercial leather care products are total crap and often do more harm than good. They recommend leather care products from the Leather Institute. Their products are all I've ever used.

Family.jpg

@First Impression I know you talked about Lexol 3 in 1 but I have always used their deep leather cleaner. I actually have a 1L bottle of it because I like it so much on my BMW. I always just work up a lather and then wipe off using a wet microfiber after letting it soak in for a few moments. Do you have any best practices other than what I am doing in terms of Lexol?

Also, I didn't see any replies about the alcantara care. Is there anything we should be doing with that?

Check out Dr Beasley's website or look them up online. They have very good care products for suede/alcantara

Reactions: GTIceman
Many of those leather wipes are 2in1 products that just like a shampoo and conditioner in one bottle, it doesn't do a very good job at either cleaning or conditioning the leather or vinyl trim. I recommend getting a mild leather cleaner such as CarPro Inside, Gtechniq Tri-Clean or Dr Beasley's Leather Cleanser. All of these products will clean your leather properly without streaking it.

Another very simple and safe cleaner you can make yourself. Take a 32oz spray bottle, fill it with water and add 5-6 drops of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (not the shampoo and conditioner). This will make a good maintenance cleaner for your leather, vinyl and suede trim.

I Hope this helps

It does help. I had never heard of the baby shampoo trick. In the meantime, I gave Griot's leather cleaner a shot...it worked well on the rest of the car, but that mean streak is still showing.

Because it's on a door panel, I want to be extra careful when using it so maybe I am a bit too careful...back to square one on this one. Of course, now that the rest of the interior is spotless, the streak shows more than ever, see attached.

Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_7418.JPG
    IMG_7418.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 116
It does help. I had never heard of the baby shampoo trick. In the meantime, I gave Griot's leather cleaner a shot...it worked well on the rest of the car, but that mean streak is still showing.

Because it's on a door panel, I want to be extra careful when using it so maybe I am a bit too careful...back to square one on this one. Of course, now that the rest of the interior is spotless, the streak shows more than ever, see attached.

Ugh.

I had a Tesla in here a couple of months ago with a similar streak. I used a leather cleaner to saturate the area and a leather brush to agitate it. The reason why is harder to remove is because whatever product was used has been absorbed by the leather.

Spray your Griots leather cleaner on the streaked area and agitate with a brush. Don't put too much pressure on the brush. You might have to do it a couple of times to have it all remove

I had a Tesla in here a couple of months ago with a similar streak. I used a leather cleaner to saturate the area and a leather brush to agitate it. The reason why is harder to remove is because whatever product was used has been absorbed by the leather.

Spray your Griots leather cleaner on the streaked area and agitate with a brush. Don't put too much pressure on the brush. You might have to do it a couple of times to have it all remove

Indeed. I gave it another try last night starting with a damp cloth and then wiping it with the Griot leather cleaner (more generously than the first time around) and the streak is now gone. Thanks everyone for the moral support and pointers to related products.

Reactions: TheTeslaStudio