Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to PROPERLY care for your Tesla wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking good care of your Tesla wheels is part of protecting your valuable automobile investment. This is a very easy process when performed on a regular basis.

Your Tesla factory wheels have a clear coat layer on them that protects the painted finish, but just like your paint, they too need to be clean and protected.

Before spraying the wheels with any cleaner, make sure the surface is cool to the touch. Spraying any type of cleaner on a hot or warm wheel can easily ruin the finish and harm the clear coat. Always try cleaning your wheels on a shaded area to avoid any watermarks or just rinse them frequently if they're under direct sunlight.

The best thing you can use to clean your wheels is soap (car soap) and water with a separate wash mitt that is used for this purpose exclusively. This method is safe for every wheel and very effective if you clean your wheels regularly and or have your wheels coated. If wheels are in need of a deeper cleaning then a PH balanced wheel cleaner such as P21S Wheel Cleaner or Sonax Full Effect is highly recommended. This cleaners are safe for any wheels and to increase their cleaning power you can allow it to sit on the wheel for a few minutes IF YOU'RE IN THE SHADE. (Tip - If you find this products a little pricey, I recommend you to go with a biodegradable cleaner like Simple Green mixed at 10 to 1 (10 parts water to 1 part cleaner) for regular cleaning or 5 to 1 if wheels haven't been cleaned for a while). Avoid using hard bristle brushes because it can introduce swirls to the wheel's finish.

To effectively clean the inner part of your wheels (inner barrel) I strongly recommend investing in brushes like EZ Detail Brush or the Wheel Woolies. This brushes do an excellent job at removing the brake dust accumulated in this hard to reach area without scratching or causing any damage to the finish. (Tips 1- Spray wheel cleaner on the inner barrel as well as on the brush for a deeper and faster cleaning. 2- Clean inner barrel first and face of the wheel second.)

To make this process much easier and extend the shine and beauty of your wheels I strongly recommend sealing your wheels with a paint sealant specifically made for them such as Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This sealant is made to withstand the heat produced by the brake dust and makes cleaning your wheels a much faster and easier process (sealant should be reapplied every 2 - 3 months). If you can spend a couple hundred dollars then a semi permanent coating is the way to go.

Hope many of you find this post helpful.

Feel free to post or message me any questions or concerns you might have.

Thank you for reading,

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks, Pete. That's pretty much how I've always dealt with my wheels (car wash soap and a big sponge).

One question I have is how to deal with "scuffs". I ended up scuffing two of my wheels at an automatic car wash. Nothing horrible (i.e. no metal damage) but I've scraped the clear coat off in a couple of spots, and in one spot, it looks like I got the paint too. (I have the Tesla stock 19" wheels).

Any DIY repair advice?

Thanks, Pete. That's pretty much how I've always dealt with my wheels (car wash soap and a big sponge).

One question I have is how to deal with "scuffs". I ended up scuffing two of my wheels at an automatic car wash. Nothing horrible (i.e. no metal damage) but I've scraped the clear coat off in a couple of spots, and in one spot, it looks like I got the paint too. (I have the Tesla stock 19" wheels).

Any DIY repair advice?

I recommend you to have the wheels fixed by a professional. I don't know how much they charge in Canada but here in the states is usually anywhere from $85-$120 per wheel.

Tip: After the car wash, turn your steering wheel full left or right.This makes it much easier to clean the inner side of your front wheels. You can't get it all, but over the course of a few washes you will.Second, set your air suspension to the highest setting as well; all make for easier access.Lastly, regular car wax also helps keep the wheels clean(er) of brake dust as well.