Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to properly use the alarm when staying in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

Can someone explain what is the proper way to do so?

Let's say you are driving with a passenger, you park and leave the car with your phone in the pocket. The car will auto-lock and the alarm will set off because the passenger was waiting inside.

It is a European M3 (with motion sensors).

Do I have each time to go into settings, and disable the alarm, sentry mode, and motion sensors?

Is there a smarter way to do that?

Other scenario, I went out of the car to see my young child in the backseat. That triggered the Sentry mode alarm even though I had my phone in my pocket. Is that normal?

Thanks!

That's interesting, what about these scenarios. You're sitting in the car with the door locked, in park, and the phone is in the car as well or if you're stopped at a light with the brake on, if a stranger comes up to the car and depresses the handle, will the car remain locked or will it unlock and allow him to get in and steal your starbuck's latte? ;)

I thought of Dog Mode but what if you want to keep the system on for music/youtube...?

In fact I would like to be able to leave my passenger in a locked car (so that now one can get in) while I go to a shop for example. Is that possible?

Every morning my 2 year old daughter gets dropped off at daycare while her older 6 year sister stays in the car (she gets dropped off at school afterwards). I would love to have a way to let the music play and not activate the alarm. To avoid triggering the alarm I usually use the app to unlock the car after I have walked away from it but its not really an elegant process.

Hi Everyone!

Can someone explain what is the proper way to do so?

Let's say you are driving with a passenger, you park and leave the car with your phone in the pocket. The car will auto-lock and the alarm will set off because the passenger was waiting inside.

It is a European M3 (with motion sensors).

Do I have each time to go into settings, and disable the alarm, sentry mode, and motion sensors?

Is there a smarter way to do that?

Other scenario, I went out of the car to see my young child in the backseat. That triggered the Sentry mode alarm even though I had my phone in my pocket. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Why do you need an alarm if someone is "inside" of the car?

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
Has this happen where the alarm has went off?
Not the original poster, but YES. My wife ran into the supermarket, while I went across the street to pick up takeout. I saw her waiting to get in the car, unlocked it, she got in. While waiting the car re-locked, sentry mode went on. All she had to do was shake her foot, and it was enough vibration that she got blasted with the Bach. No matter if it is raining or not, she would now rather get wet waiting outside the car

Ok so there is really something counter-intuitive with the way it works.

I also had Bach played with my baby boy inside. That was quite hard. I went to sit in the back to check him with the phone in my pocket. I don’t know what happened.