TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to protect/insure your EV from power damage?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by VolkerP, May 30, 2012.

1. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Questions arose in different threads concerning damage an EV would suffer while charging from the grid.

voltage drops or power spikes can prevent your EV from charging or even damage the car/the EVSE.
    Lloyd reported that a cogeneration plant in the vicinity polluted the grid, preventing his Roadster from charging reliably.
    W. Petefish reported that line spikes from the utility blew some fuses in his Roadster's PEM and the financial consequences were a hassle.
    lightning is known to take out electrical devices in even greater numbers.

Three questions
    1. what is the best way to monitor your power supply and detect/report problems?
    2. what gear would you install to prevent your EV from harmful power conditions and at what cost?
    3. what kind of insurance would you chose to cover any damage to your EV/equipment and at what cost?

2. bsimoes

bsimoes Member

Lightning strikes...how many times?

Thank you for picking up this thread. I had mentioned the lightning strike issue elsewhere, but it wasn't the initial focus of the thread. It would seem logical that Tesla would build in some sort of surge protector within the charger to prevent a problem. I had assumed this at first, but then again, after losing many household appliances to a lighting strike at a nearby pole, it got me to thinking and realizing that it is never good to just assume, so I put the question out there. State Farm Insurance was wonderful about covering the cost of lost appliances. It was my first and only claim...hopefully, my last!

3. MarkR

MarkR Member

Great question Volker. I have an electrician scheduled for tomorrow at our home and will attempt to insure that the car is as protected as it can be from the supply side.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I think the question should be is the protection offered by the charging EVSE'S or UMC sufficient to protect against a strike. With all of the roadsters out there I believe that the answer is likely yes it is sufficient and probably improved upon. I don't believe I have heard of any roadster damage to date.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Wouldn't your car just charge faster if you had a power surge or lightning strike?

--- DUCKS ----

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Mandatory:

bttf-005a.jpg