Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect Model S Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I search through all the shopping sites looking for a Model S key fob case, nothing look good of preserve the beauty of the key fob itself, all the key fob cases are bulky and not attractive.

Wonder if anyone tried to vinyl wrap, plasti-dip or use opti-coat on their key fobs.

I bought a matallic silver silicone car keychain, the chain feels cheap, and the color wear off after a couple of months, it looks really bad.
Amazon.com: Silicone FobPocket for the Tesla Model S (Blue): Automotive

Interesting, perhaps it is just an issue with their metallic ones; I got the dark blue and glow in the dark light blue from Abstract Ocean myself and have no issues with color fading. I also just received free Topfit fob pockets when I ordered their floor mats, the design is slightly different but pretty much the same thing

OP, I too use Abstract Ocean's silicon sleeves. They have the least amount of bulk, provide maximum protection for your FOB from scratches, come in a myriad of colors to suit your preference, while providing maximum access to the 3 buttons without removing the FOB from the sleeve. To me, the only drawback is some colors (like stealth black), pick up and retain lint from my jeans pockets, look scrungy after a few weeks and are difficult to get that lint back off without a wash and scrub (too much trouble) -- IMHO, for that reason, lighter color sleeves are better.

OTOH, I tried Abstract Ocean's premium leather sleeve and would not recommend them... It's bulky with the snap closure, is more difficult to use the buttons while it's inside the (too thick) leather sleeve, and I finally figured out was the source of my intermittent truck and frunk opening as I got in and out of my MS. The old Tesla "fabric sleeves" are no longer available new unless you found a left-over stash of them somewhere, and are fairly bulky and become tattered a lot faster than the AO silicon sleeve. The present Tesla leather covers IMHO are just too bulky to be practical unless perhaps you never put your key in a pocket -- I've never used mine and the next owner of my MS will get two new ones as swag with their new toy.

in the 2 years I've had my car I've never felt that the fob needed any extra protection. the SC did give me 2 tesla covers for the fobs but I don't use them.

Ditto. I even have the new leather ones Tesla is giving us. I love the look of the FOB and like to keep it "naked" and clean.

However, I did order the Abstract Ocean silicone FOB pocket online from Amazon, and think that's the best option if you're gonna cover it. I keep it just in case I need protection, on the rare occasion I valet the car, service apppointments, etc. It is very sleek, durable, and allows visible access to all of the buttons.

I like the Tesla branded ones. They don't sell them any more for some reason, but I happen to have one and that's what I use.

IMG_2772.jpg

My original fobs still look like new. No cover. Why? I do not put anything with it that can damage it. It sits alone in my pant pocket with a handkerchief and nothing else. No keys. No key chain. No coins. At home, it sits alone in a small metal cup (for RF shielding).

I have one of the Abstract Ocean silicone ones too, and like it. On a related note, I've spent a little while looking for a compact waterproof container for my fob and come up blank. Everything I've found is either too big to be properly pocket-sized, or not really waterproof, or both.

Edit: I have a plain black silicone cover, not a metallic one.

Last edited:
I bought a matallic silver silicone car keychain, the chain feels cheap, and the color wear off after a couple of months, it looks really bad.
Amazon.com: Silicone FobPocket for the Tesla Model S (Blue): Automotive
Interesting, perhaps it is just an issue with their metallic ones; I got the dark blue and glow in the dark light blue from Abstract Ocean myself and have no issues with color fading. I also just received free Topfit fob pockets when I ordered their floor mats, the design is slightly different but pretty much the same thing

First and foremost, let me object to the "the chain feels cheap" as that is NOT my experience.

However, my silver and gold metallic ones from AbstractOcean turned out the same way with the paint. After a few months, the gray and yellow silicone underneath the metallic paint is pretty much all that is left. I would recommend not getting the metallic one and just get the solid color ones from the start.

Why? Is where it sits at home within effective RF range of the car?

Thieves using power amplifier to increase the range. Thieves using a $17 device to break into cars with keyless systems

- - - Updated - - -

This is my 3 months old metallic silver silicone car key chain, I pulled the ring when I try to push the key into the silicone case, I had to use a needle nose pliers to fix it, it's been good since.

The actual silicone look worse the the picture taken.

image1.JPG

This is my 3 months old metallic silver silicone car key chain, I pulled the ring when I try to push the key into the silicone case, I had to use a needle nose pliers to fix it, it's been good since.

The actual silicone look worse the the picture taken.
View attachment 104612

Yours looks better than mine. But mine is 6 months old so it may be on the same trajectory.

I like the Tesla leather one that I got. I wanted to just have the fob and nothing else. But one day, while I was making giant floor pillows as a volunteer for a non profit, it slipped out and I literally sewed it into the pillow! I had fifty of them and had to hold each one up to the car until one finally opened it! That's on top of losing the first fob somewhere in my house and I have yet to find it. So I have decided that I am simply not worthy of a lovely, naked fob!

OTOH, I tried Abstract Ocean's premium leather sleeve and would not recommend them... It's bulky with the snap closure, is more difficult to use the buttons while it's inside the (too thick) leather sleeve, and I finally figured out was the source of my intermittent truck and frunk opening as I got in and out of my MS.

I just want to offer an alternative view on the Abstract Ocean leather fob covers.

My wife and I both use them, and are very happy with them. I have the rustic leather, and she uses the black leather, so we can tell them apart.

I think the leather looks and feels really classy. I don't have any trouble at all using the buttons through the leather. I have, on rare occasion, popped the trunk inadvertently, but not by just getting in or out of the car. Whenever it's happened I've been in an awkward position, either lying on the ground for some reason or twisting in some odd way. It certainly happens rarely enough that I don't consider it a problem, and I expect the same thing would happen in those situations with a thinner cover on the fob as well.

I'm a big fan of the Abstract Ocean leather fob pockets.