Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect Onyx Black Rims from light Scratches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoBoRaT

PoPeYeD'SaiLoRDuDe
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
I picked up a new set of 22" Onyx Black rims for X for a really good price.

There is very light scratch to one of the rims, see picture.

It seems that even small scratches in Black rims easily stand out.

What do you suggest to protect the rims from scratches?

I am NOT looking into powder coating the rims. I am open for DIY coat, that does not cost an arm & a leg, yet give protection from light scratches.
20190908_190626.jpg
20190908_190740.jpg

What do you use?
Any suggestions?
Thanks/RBRT

I've used clear plastidip to protect my car and truck wheels during long trips. This product is thick enough to keep my wheels looking their best. Also, it is easy to apply and remove.

I might do this then.

So, does clear plasti dip adhere to "stock" painted rims? Or, do I need to apply regular (like satin black) plasti dip coat before the clear plasti dip coat?

Thanks for the info.

I picked up a new set of 22" Onyx Black rims for X for a really good price.

It seems that even small scratches in Black rims easily stand out.

What do you suggest to protect the rims from scratches?

I am NOT looking into powder coating the rims. I am open for DIY coat, that does not cost an arm & a leg, yet give protection from light scratches.

Same here! Interested to see what everyone is doing. I just got some of those rim covers from amazon that are coming in tomorrow. Where did you get the 22s from and how much?

Same here! Interested to see what everyone is doing. I just got some of those rim covers from amazon that are coming in tomorrow. Where did you get the 22s from and how much?

$2500.

The set of 22" Onyx was a referral price - brand new.

I don't think he has anymore to sell.

Did you find a set? There were a couple of 22s used but good condition here last week.

Alright, I got my Amazon item in. This is what I got

Screenshot_20190914_201001.jpg

Taking my time, it took about 30 minutes to clean and apply. I think it looks great. I can barely see it after a few feet away. Even though its plastic, sheen matches rims. Time will tell how effective it is. I didn't use the clips, instead just lined it up the best I could.

Before
IMG_20190914_182159.jpg

After
IMG_20190914_190043.jpg

Close up of end seams
IMG_20190914_190023.jpg

Alright, I got my Amazon item in. This is what I got

View attachment 455007

Taking my time, it took about 30 minutes to clean and apply. I think it looks great. I can barely see it after a few feet away. Even though its plastic, sheen matches rims. Time will tell how effective it is. I didn't use the clips, instead just lined it up the best I could.

Before
View attachment 455015

After
View attachment 455016

Close up of end seams
View attachment 455017

Looks great!

Reactions: forkee
No special prep is needed. Just clean your wheels and use clear plastidip.

I did use clear gloss plasti dip, and it looked very good. See picture.

Until, I moved the wheels...and the clear plasti dip coat easily came off.
I guess the gloss coat needs plasti dip base layer to adhere to.

Or, maybe its just the noob plasti dip DiY'er in me.

Anyway,

I just touched up the scratches with black ink for now. I will dip these wheels later if/when I scratch them more. Will use black plasti dip as base then top with gloss coat.

20190915_100229.jpg