Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect the Falcon Wing doors from a moving garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great solution. But since the FWDs have their own proximity sensors, I think we should request a new feature from Tesla to automatically retract (lower) the Falcon Wing Doors in the event of impending collision. The FW doors already start beeping when the garage door is approaching, right? Which means they "know" they're about to get hit. So it seems like an "auto-retract" feature could be enabled via software. Am I missing something?

How is this unsafe? I'v been using these Z-Wave relays with my garage openers for about year with no problems. Would like to here why?

I think jeffreys is talking about the fact that the protocol has been shown to be insecure. If you're using Z-wave for access to your house, someone could theoretically hack into your network and send a command to open the doors. There are workarounds for this, PM me if you're interested in some of the stuff I've done. It's pretty OT here...

Not so much insecure as unreliable. I find my zwave modules work great most of the time. Then some sort of wireless interference or low battery conditions mean it doesn't work a substantial fraction of the time for a while. If I was defending the paint and seals on my $100k car, I would run the wires needed to avoid a wireless solution to the problem.

I haven't had any reliability or security issues with my Z-Wave garage control mechanism. I will also put a rubber bumper on the top portion of my garage door to prevent damages if it happens to fail. Obviously I will be careful and only open/close the FWD when my garage is close as I currently do with my trunk.

I doubt using homelink is more secure compared to Z-Wave. I have a pretty secure perimeter and network around my home. I have 13 exterior cameras for surveillance. However I would gladly like to note any additional security measures I can take into account from ohmman.

- - - Updated - - -

And Marcus solution wouldn't really work for me as my garage has a backup battery so I need to find my own.

Marcus, thanks for sharing another great video. Could you share a photo of the wiring from the sensor the AC relay device? Wondering how to place the five wires from the sensor to the two holes on the IOTRELAY device. Tried brown and blue, then brown and black. Have not been able to power on the sensor so far. No wiring diagram provided with IOTRelay device and their website was having it either. Thanks in advance. James

I haven't had any reliability or security issues with my Z-Wave garage control mechanism. I will also put a rubber bumper on the top portion of my garage door to prevent damages if it happens to fail. Obviously I will be careful and only open/close the FWD when my garage is close as I currently do with my trunk.

I doubt using homelink is more secure compared to Z-Wave. I have a pretty secure perimeter and network around my home. I have 13 exterior cameras for surveillance. However I would gladly like to note any additional security measures I can take into account from ohmman.

- - - Updated - - -
I don't think it's so much of an issue of scratching the sides of the doors, I would be a lot more worried about the first set of hinges breaking or bending thus rendering the FWD unusable. A scratch is nothing compared to having a FWD replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

This is great info. We get our X this week and we are currently replacing our garage door so I'm going to look into the wall mount opener. Does anyone have the maximum clearance for the falcon wing door so I know what we are aiming for?

This is from the Model X FAQ
Model X FAQ (wiki)

Q: What is the clearance of the falcon wing doors (FWD) when fully opened?
A: With the car suspension set to Very High, there is 81" (6' - 9"; 2,06m) clearance from the ground to the lowest point on the FWD. Based on the ground clearance measurements below, that would imply that on Very Low, there would be 78" (6' - 6"; 1,98m) clearance.
Q: Can you give us a measurement of the maximum (exterior) height of the fully open FWD? Both at 'Very High' and 'Very Low' Suspension settings?
A: On "Low", the default setting, the highest point on the fully opened FaWD is 90 inches (7' - 6"; 2.286m).

- - - Updated - - -

** Note the answer to the second question only gives us the "Low" suspension so...
Q: What is the ground clearance ?
A1: With air suspension : very low/very high 5.11"/8.22" (13cm/20,3cm)
A2: with coil suspension : 7.2" (18,28cm)

Just add 3 inches to highest point of the FWD at "low" so thats 93 inches.

Marcus, thanks for sharing another great video. Could you share a photo of the wiring from the sensor the AC relay device? Wondering how to place the five wires from the sensor to the two holes on the IOTRELAY device. Tried brown and blue, then brown and black. Have not been able to power on the sensor so far. No wiring diagram provided with IOTRelay device and their website was having it either. Thanks in advance. James

DC Adapter+ to Sensor Brown and Relay+
DC Adapter- to Sensor Blue and Sensor White
Relay- to Sensor Black

Marcus, thanks for your quick response. I also received the following diagram from a friend.

image.jpeg

I did several dry runs with DC source this evening and it worked as expected. It's worth to note that the sensor and the mirror must be mounted on the wall to prevent frequent misalignment. I first mounted them to the garage door rails. It was terrible choice as the power got cut off immediately after the door started to roll. Now I need to get a good AC/DC adapter. This one seemed very good for the price.

Amazon.com: RockBirds New DC 12V 1A Switching Power Supply Adapter For 100V- 240V AC 50/60Hz Black: Home Improvement

Now solve the door sequence problem. If you have auto open and close set everything works fine if the door is in the right position when you approach it.

I had to turn off the feature in the car after my wife almost drove into a closing door several times. If the door is open as the car approaches it sends the signal and the door starts to close. Now we need smarter garage doors that have a different signal for open and close. It's a nice feature but just be careful if the door is open as you approach.

I have the opposite problem. My garage door has separate open and close channels, so it needs to be programmed in the Model S as two Homelink presets. This is great because it means you never accidentally take the opposite action to the one you intended. But it doesn't play at all well with auto-open and auto-close because the auto-close functionality is dependent on auto-open.

In general there needs to be a way to program this stuff in a much more detailed way. However based on history Tesla are not known for enabling detailed configuration; they prefer to have the car do it "automatically" even it only then works for 80% of users (cough, smart preconditioning, cough).