Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to purchase a used 3 and then drive it home a long distance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, gals,

Newbie question here, if I purchase a car from a dealer (assuming they don't have it linked to a tesla account) or someone who doesn't know how to transfer the ownership to me directly like what is called out HERE, how do I supercharge on the way home? Can I still do it through the display like they show HERE?

Just want to make sure I can actually drive it home!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

This doesn’t exactly answer your question or offer full reassurance but I watched a video (see 9:47
) where Kyle bought a Tesla from a dealership but the car account wasn’t transferred yet but he could still charge.

@agreif Kyle's road trip videos are great at figuring out best supercharging scenarios. As for your issue, best is to submit the transfer of ownership to tesla right as you finalize the sale of the car, and I'd try to figure out how to call them and contact a real life person in order to expedite it being added to your account, therefore adding a credit card to the account. The toughest part is the title or registration part. If you can talk to a real person, i've read in the past it's ok to just send them every paperwork dealing with the purchase of the car and title transfer/registration application.

You need paperwork as shown on that page. copy pasta here
  • Color copy or photo of your driver’s license or state/province ID
  • Copy or photo of your title or registration
  • If registering under a business, include your business card with your name and company name
  • Registration address
  • Phone number
  • Vehicle VIN number