Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to purchase Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine and received it for my upcoming delivery of my Model 3. However, I think that this should be an option to pick for "delivery". In other words I shouldn't have to make an installation appointment on a brand new car. Hopefully, once I have my delivery date, I can at least go drop it off at the service center so that they can go ahead and put it in before I pick up my new car. Why is it even shipped to us? There's nothing we can do with it? It even says on the box not to open and it would void the warranty if you do. This should be shipped to the service center for installation on new cars, cars your bring in or given to the Mobile Service tech to come to install at your place.

I ordered mine and received it for my upcoming delivery of my Model 3. However, I think that this should be an option to pick for "delivery". In other words I shouldn't have to make an installation appointment on a brand new car. Hopefully, once I have my delivery date, I can at least go drop it off at the service center so that they can go ahead and put it in before I pick up my new car. Why is it even shipped to us? There's nothing we can do with it? It even says on the box not to open and it would void the warranty if you do. This should be shipped to the service center for installation on new cars, cars your bring in or given to the Mobile Service tech to come to install at your place.
The reason they send it to your home is they would like you to have the mobile Ranger come to your house and install it in your car so it could set it up for your garage or gate that you want to operate. Don't open it leave it in the Box still sealed and when you get your car make an appointment to have it installed with the mobile Ranger. I believe they used to send it to the service center they probably got lost or misplaced so they send it to the house that they're going to install it on now, that's just a guess. Good luck I hope everything goes well with your new car

Does anyone know --- I'm getting a new garage door installed thats delayed due to Covid. Do I need to have Homelink tested with my garage door or can I get Homelink installed in advance of getting the new door?

The reason they send it to your home is they would like you to have the mobile Ranger come to your house and install it in your car so it could set it up for your garage or gate that you want to operate. Don't open it leave it in the Box still sealed and when you get your car make an appointment to have it installed with the mobile Ranger. I believe they used to send it to the service center they probably got lost or misplaced so they send it to the house that they're going to install it on now, that's just a guess. Good luck I hope everything goes well with your new car

I get that, but:
1. I don't live in the range of a mobile ranger. I always have to go to the service center.
2. Even if a ranger is coming out, they could bring it with them like they would any other part they are installing.

It's just weird that this one part is one that they ship to you instead of the service center and more importantly NEW car buyers just can't have it installed as part of the purchase process. It should be a part of the delivery process. They should stock them at the delivery centers and simply charge you for it and install it before you get there. As far as setup goes, they included them on cars for years and still do on Model S/X and we have no problem programming them ourselves. No need for a ranger visit.

Does anyone know --- I'm getting a new garage door installed thats delayed due to Covid. Do I need to have Homelink tested with my garage door or can I get Homelink installed in advance of getting the new door?

You can find if your "garage door opener" is compatible with HomeLink here: HomeLink

If its new (garage door opener), it is likely compatible with HomeLink.
Tesla will not sell you the HomeLink unit if you do not currently have a Tesla VIN assigned.

Reactions: richyrich
Questions:

1. Is this an option that Tesla has to "turn on" to allow the car and phone app to use?
  2. Is the hardware in the kit for the garage door opener, or is it for the car?
  3. If you get this installed, will my other non-Tesla vehicles still be able to open the garage door?
Thanks

Questions:

1. Is this an option that Tesla has to "turn on" to allow the car and phone app to use?
  2. Is the hardware in the kit for the garage door opener, or is it for the car?
  3. If you get this installed, will my other non-Tesla vehicles still be able to open the garage door?
Thanks
1. Yes, Tesla will have to flash your Y with firmware update to enable HomeLink when the module is installed.
2. HomeLink module is for the Car.
3. Yes. You might erase the programming with the other non-Tesla cars in the process of programming your Tesla.

I wonder why they don't just make this add on feature at the time car built rather than aftermarket. Save so much time.

Tesla has simplified the manufacturing process to such a level that things like Homelink would not work well. The are basically building large batches of the exact same car without variation, even down to the color options. I'd rather seem them get that process down pat before each unit coming down the line has an unique options list.

1. Yes, Tesla will have to flash your Y with firmware update to enable HomeLink when the module is installed.
2. HomeLink module is for the Car.
3. Yes. You might erase the programming with the other non-Tesla cars in the process of programming your Tesla.

Thanks. Makes sense. My garage door opener already has HomeLink, and my wife's Toyota does, too. I was hoping Tesla could just update the vehicle remotely and that I wouldn't need a ranger visit. I live 340 miles from the closest service center...

I had my Homelink installed yesterday and the two openers I want to program are 30 and 150 miles away. No problem with not being able to program at the time. Of course there's always a chance of infant mortality, but I programmed the closer one today without issue.

Tesla will not sell you the HomeLink unit if you do not currently have a Tesla VIN assigned.

Not true. I purchased my Homelink and had it delivered several weeks before I had a VIN.

per other comments -- had installed today. 30 mins (as he had to install the device in the fronk then the software). adjusted the distance settings and all good. Is it necessary? well neither was the $35 bottle of wine I bought. It's the little things in 2020. He also replaced automatically the panels in the truck just because apparently some cars had some warping.

Reactions: Impaler
My Garage Door opener is an old LiftMaster Elite unit and I had doubts but it got easily programmed. It took around 2 weeks for mine to arrive. It comes in a box that should remain sealed and Service Center will open it.

same -- I have the Lift Master as well as a controlled gate. Configured both. The gate at 70 feet and the garage at 60 ft. Pretty cool actually.

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
On additional note...Homelink, once installed, is available via the Tesla app too under the "Controls" section.

Do you have FSD?

I have a 2018 Model 3 with AP but no FSD that came with homelink. There are no controls on the app for opening the garage.
I just ordered a Y and 100% will get homelink installed. It’s always been awesome and works flawlessly. Every time I come up the driveway I smile that the garage door opens automatically....and I have 35k miles.

SC won't install pre-delivery because of the 7-day return option. Once 7 days has gone by they don't worry about it. BTW, garage door openers and gate openers don't come with Homelink - they have radio receivers that accommodate a Homelink transmission from the car's Homelink device.