Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to quickly defrost windshield while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very much play the 'need airflow but can't use energy' in my acient LEAF.. but on my Y I just set it to auto and just adjust the temp for comfort. with the Y heatpump neither AC nor heat is worth worrying over. That being said, I do wish there was an 'advanced' setting that would allow me to 'only heat below xx temp and only cool above yy temp, otherwise blow outside air'

@sleepydoc : “You can also go into the climate control panel and manually decrease the fan speed after turning on defog/defrost.”

Can you try this when you have time and let me know if the front defogger stays on? Thanks.
I would like my defogger to stay on fan speed 1. If I have my friend’s dog in the car that has just rolled around the wet ground or is panting heavily, I just want the defogger to stay on fan speed 1 and not 5 To prevent front windshield fogging up.
Yes, I tried it - works fine. Like I said ‘defog’ is just a combination of Settings that you can put in manually. There’s nothing preventing you from manually entering most or all of the settings.

Edit: What you want is dehumidified air blowing up on the windshield to remove any condensation. Open the climate control panel, set the vent to the windshield/defroster vent, make sure the A/C is on and set the fan to whatever you want:
6644CCD3-1476-4D1F-BE7E-8A2CE1DEC48B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gyozaman
Wait…do you mean the settings that work for you in Fort Worth won’t work for me in Minneapolis???
In an ideal world, Auto should defog the windshield when it needs defogging and stop when it doesn't. So it should work the same in FW as Minneapolis. Unfortunately, Auto is looking at the top of the windshield where the camera is, not down low. A fogged windshield fogs from the bottom up.

If only we could have perfect every time!

It may WORK the same, regionally, but the humidity/temp differences, regionally, will cause it to cycle differently.

The knock on Tesla design is that all of their "field" testing was done in S. Cal, so they HVAC system, by design, MIGHT not be robust enough for climate extremes.

Yes, I tried it - works fine. Like I said ‘defog’ is just a combination of Settings that you can put in manually. There’s nothing preventing you from manually entering most or all of the settings.

Edit: What you want is dehumidified air blowing up on the windshield to remove any condensation. Open the climate control panel, set the vent to the windshield/defroster vent, make sure the A/C is on and set the fan to whatever you want:
View attachment 873197
Thanks for taking the picture. What I was hoping my Y would do is to have the defrost icon stay on (the icon button to the right of the auto icon button) , and at fan speed 1. But I think I understand now that the left column icon you chose with the arrow blowing up also acts as a defogger because it is air blowing on the windshield, and when using this mode I can choose any fan speed with or without A/C. Thanks.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Interesting...let me ask you why there is an OFF button on the control?

There is no reason to leave it auto. I just want it completely off unless I turn it on or set to Auto on purpose.

This is clearly a design issue, it SHOULD go back to original status, period.
There’s no reason not to leave it in AUTO . And you likely would‘nt need defrost (defog) if the system is in Auto