Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to race my model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best time I got with my S85 was with traction control on and just mashing the accelerator.

Things I tried:

1. I tried the old school technique of "brake boosting" by holding the brake with my left foot and holding the accelerator down at the same time with my right. The car didn't seem to accelerate out of the hole as fast
2. Turning traction control off didn't help any since the surface of the strip was so tacky that there was no actual TC intervention when it was on so there was no difference there. Again, I have a S85 so YMMV with a P85
3. Gradually feeding in accelerator input didn't do anything either.

Ultimately, I learned to just trust the computer and let the car just figure it out. Best run was a ~13.4 for my S85. A P85 should be in the low 12s from all the slips that I have seen.

If you plan to run on a public roadway...please don't (your friendly PSA)

Remeber to range charge to 100% at the track if possible. Let the car cool down. Everything else equal your first run will be fastest, due to heat build up in the drive train for subsequent runs. Leave TC on and mash it from the get go.

Race my friend later this week! What's the best way to drag race a model s? Should I just slam on the accelerator or should I do a more gradual pedal to the metal? I'm emptying everything out of my car to lesson weight as well. Any help greatly appreciated. P85 21"rims

Just mash it. Make sure you have a high SOC. Swap out your 21's for lightweight 19's if you want to shave off 0.1s. Remove any extra weight, rear jump seats if you have them. Have fun, be safe, and save the racing for the track.

Has anyone tried starting from 'very high' when drag racing to get more weight on the rear wheels?
...obviously with air suspension.

That is an interesting idea. But in my feeble mind that creates an image of the car sort of slanting forward/downwards more on the front wheels - wouldn't that if anything shift weight TO the front wheels?

That is an interesting idea. But in my feeble mind that creates an image of the car sort of slanting forward/downwards more on the front wheels - wouldn't that if anything shift weight TO the front wheels?

Very high should lift the car evenly. I don't see how it would get more weight on either end.

Johan is right. Try to make your first run as fully charged as possible. And just floor it. I ran against my son-in-law and he spanked me. I ran my P85 with 21" wheels. I got a 12.5. He ran his tweaked Caddy CTS-V with around 600hp. He got a 12.3. My first run was my best of 4 runs. I was a nose ahead at halfway mark but he nudged me out at the end.

The Roadster has more information available ( motor and PEM temperature ). In the Roadster you want the battery warm, but the drive train not warm for best results. The battery warms up slowly and the drivetrain warms up fast. However the drivetrain also cools down fast. I have *never* been able to warm the drivetrain up enough to limit performance when just doing 1/4 mile drag runs. It takes a couple sustained minutes of hard driving on the track to do that. After 13 seconds of charging down the 1/4 mile track, it usually takes several minutes crawling back at 15-35 mph to get back to the front of the line to drag again - and the drivetrain cools down plenty by then.

It is probable that the Model S is similar.

I definitely got better results in the Roadster with traction control off, but that is quite possibly different with the Model S.
Either way - make sure you avoid the water box before the starting line. You absolutely do not want to go through that unless you are doing a burnout.

Very high should lift the car evenly. I don't see how it would get more weight on either end.

it should change your center of gravity so it is a tiny bit higher and this will increase the moment and the down force on the rear wheels.
right?
someone else thought of it and I thought it actually was a pretty good idea. The car will drop into low as you pick up speed and be at very low by the end. especially with the newer firmware w/lowering control again

it should change your center of gravity so it is a tiny bit higher and this will increase the moment and the down force on the rear wheels.
right?
someone else thought of it and I thought it actually was a pretty good idea. The car will drop into low as you pick up speed and be at very low by the end. especially with the newer firmware w/lowering control again

Z... I can't see this being advantageous. Should be plenty of down force to start with, unless traction is an issue. If you're slipping with traction control off, then it might give an advantage over traction control on.

Mash the pedal to the floor and hold.

Maximum SOC for sure! If you do successive runs it gets incrementally slower each time as the SOC drops.

Minimum weight in car - ditch the passenger and any other unnecessary objects. (One passenger makes a measurable difference.)

In my experience TC doesn't engage on dry pavement so it doesn't matter if it's on or not.

Minor: close the windows and sunroof, for better aerodynamics at high speeds. (I wonder if fold the mirrors in would help?)

The idea of raising the suspension probably won't do anything because on decent dry pavement you don't get wheel spin anyway. If you did get wheel spin then yes maybe it would help shift some weight onto the rear tires during acceleration, but at high speeds it would also slightly increase aerodynamic resistance.

Closeby (for me :) )in Osnabrück (Germany) there is the possibility of racing a Hillclimb for electric vehicles. Its a 1 1/4 Mile sprint uphill. Quite demanding. Not many starters in the group Electric. I'm toying with the idea of starting there with my P85.

How would it the P85 hold up there? Would the powerlimiter come on quickly? Is there a way of delaying it?

Yes drag strips can be sloppy, I remember getting some wheel spin at Luskville (a very old facility). I might take the MS drag racing again; if I do I'll try raising the suspension.

today I was watching the snowcross videos I think you posted on u tube. looks like some serious sloppy fun (especially the ice race, wow)

- - - Updated - - -

Closeby (for me :) )in Osnabrück (Germany) there is the possibility of racing a Hillclimb for electric vehicles. Its a 1 1/4 Mile sprint uphill. Quite demanding. Not many starters in the group Electric. I'm toying with the idea of starting there with my P85.

How would it the P85 hold up there? Would the powerlimiter come on quickly? Is there a way of delaying it?

I did a 2.2 mi 1200ft vertical hillclimb in 95 degree weather and was ~15 seconds behind the 2007 Z06's with racing wheels/tires and suspension + other stuff.
not bad. did get limited for sure at about 2/3 or so up. (look in my page in my sig line for vids if u want to see the elev + hill - pg 11)