TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to rate your Model S - let's define consistent critera

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Discoducky, May 31, 2012.

1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

If we could agree on how we score our new cars it might provide TM a more consistent and focused feedback mechanism.

Maybe scoring it more by comparison to competitors like the A6 and 5 series

I'm interested to see the scores given to Model S from C&D, MT and Consumer Reports. As well as Edmunds TCO

USNews seems to have a comprehensive system: How We Rank New Cars - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

How We Rank New Cars

Our new car rankings are based on a consensus of America's top automotive experts, as well as safety and reliability data.

The rankings do not rely on our own tests or U.S. News editors' preferences.
    We combine two types of information: published reviews from respected automotive critics and safety and reliability data from third-party sources.
    For each new car in the U.S. News rankings, our editors analyze credible reviews about the new car to come up with a score representing what professional critics says about it. The reviews are gathered from major newspapers, magazines and automotive websites. For each third-party review, we score the car on four different components:
    • Performance. The performance score represents the reviewer's written assessment of a car's handling, braking, acceleration, ride quality and other qualitative performance measures.
    • Interior. The interior score represents the reviewer's written assessment of the car's interior comfort, features, cargo space, styling and build quality.
    • Exterior. The exterior score represents the car's eye-catching appeal and perceived build quality.
    • Overall Recommendation. The recommendation score represents the overall tone and recommendation level the reviewer places on a car.
    In addition to the analysis of professional reviews, we add information of particular interest to new car shoppers, such as safety and reliability data, that isn't part of the critics' qualitative reviews.
    • Safety. The safety score is based on a compilation of scores from leading safety rating sources, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
    • Reliability. The reliability score contributing to the U.S. News rankings is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS).
    • Awards. Cars that win major automotive industry awards, such as the Motor Trend Car of the Year andNorth American Car of the Year, receive a bump in their Recommendation score to reflect the importance of these awards.
    We combine these scores in a formula that is based on what new car shoppers say matters to them most in a new vehicle. The result is an overall score for each new car, which allows us to make head-to-head comparisons of new vehicles, ranking them against each other.
    In some instances, the overall score is higher or lower than the component scores we display. This is because the Overall Recommendation from reviewers contributes to our calculation of the overall score, but is not currently displayed as a component score. Occasionally, a new car really is more (or less) than the sum of its parts.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

wow, this was surprising, considering how well the car is selling: Consumer Reports | Hybrid Cars

In all, CR scored it 1 point below the Honda Insight with a total of 53 points out of 100 possible which – if this were a school report card – would basically mean the “c” gets an “F.”

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

It doesn't seem to me that CR likes hybrids (or other green cars) all that much. They place little to no value on environmental responsibility, IMHO. I'm curious to see what they do with the Model S.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Perhaps the title should be changed to rating rather than scoring. I had this vision of someone keying their Model S.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

And I imagined you were talking about how you intend to "acquire" your Model S. Which didn't make much sense.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I agree. Could the moderators could assist in changing the title of the thread please?

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think as the thread starter you can change the title at least

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Mod note - thread title updated, per request.

9. SByer

SByer '08 #383

CR doesn't value anything that deviates from their Camry/Accord genericar ideal. They seriously undervalue any sort of subjective measure. I read the car section mostly for amusement and to see how disastrous the latest VW decontenting has been.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I dont read CR, but isn't that good for an objective review?

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The problem is that the objectivity goes out the window because of their preconceived notions (which is just as subjective as other kinds of subjectivity). CR thinks of industry standards as being the goal. Industry standards always gravitate to the mediocre. So if something exactly matches industry standards, CR will give it high marks. If it varies from the standards they will take marks away. Generally better products (regardless of type) get low marks from CR.

12. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I kind of came up with my own scoring method a long time ago for cars and it used the "ideal" in every case so to get a perfect score the car had to
    1. Look like a Ferrari
    2. have a 5 star all around rating
    3. seat 5 people comfortably, get 50 mpg,
    4. have 1,200/yr or less in repair and maintenance for 10 years (measure of reliability)
    5. have minimal steel parts (measure of reliability)
    6. have gull-wing or suicide doors (ease of getting in and out),
    7. Have less inspection time than a new car
    8. Have the 0-60 equal to a McClaren
    9. Cost as much as a Cobalt
    10. Have as much cargo room as an SUV

The Model S scored around 90%, the Model X scored higher, the Roadster got a solid B, and other cars got a C or lower. I did it for a Toyota and it got a 55, a Fusion got a 33, a Ferrari got a 20

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I would expect TM will want all kinds of feedback and scoring based on ideals is a great way to go. But trying to keep design choices out of the equation. Focus on quality.

The Karma being a recent example of a testament to how a car can be both beautiful and unfinished.

For new car delivery I. feel like a grade or score from ideal is reasonable. Based on some ideal that has been produced to date that you've personally experienced enough times to warrant a sound and explainable conclusion. Non-relevant feedback would be "I just don't like it" or "it doesn't work for me". Relevant feedback would be "I can see distortions in the paint from one body panel to the next"

Exterior:
    1. Paint color, finish, deepness, richness, tone, hue
    2. Body panel fit and finish. Consistently small (3mm or less) and smooth. No variations or unevenness. Each panel reflects direct light similarly at the joint.
    3. Light housings sit flush, minimal seems, no protrusions, gaps or visible imperfections on glass or debris inside the housing
    4. Undercarriage is finished, no reworks visible or distortions, marriage to side, front and rear is tight and flush, no gaps or variations in the joint
    5. Wheel assembly has no visible distortions or marks, calipers and rotors are free from visible defects or wear, rust or wear of any kind.
    6. Tires are seated properly, no visible distortions or marks from use

Interior finish:
    1. Stitching is flawless, no hanging or loose strings, no frays, no color imperfections, smooth and consistent lines
    2. Leather is pulled tight with no bending, rolling, waves or stretch marks, light reflects smoothly from each seam
    3. Seat padding is firm, no gaps or give where unexpected, every weight bearing surface feels sturdy, solid and grounded
    4. Carpet is neat at the edges, attention is paid to assembly and installation where there are tight angles, no give when tugged or pulled, weight is high, should not feel the backing with fingers, should feel durable and strong
    5. Plastic finishes are textured, strong to the touch and secured when stressed. No color variations or distortions.

Controls
    1. Steering wheel is firm, solid, heavy feeling, but easy to turn. No squeaking or noise from normal operation, smooth, consistent feel. Mechanical buttons are well marked to last, no screenings, inlaid markings will not wear out with normal use.
    2. Stalk controls are sturdy, with no play or extra movement. Textured appropriately with markings that will not fade under normal operation
    3. Door controls are sturdy, solid and easy to operate
    4. Mechanical air louvers are sturdy, solid and easy to operate
    5. Foot pedals operate smoothly, textured appropriately and will not wear out under normal use

Sound
    1. None, no rattles, vibrations, whistling or any interruptions during the driving experience on any road surface at any speed

Electronics:
    1. User interface is easy to read in all kinds of light, every letter and number is legible at arms length. Controls do not move or become hidden or buried underneath layers of other UI. Pages are not cluttered, has sufficient empty space, nothing close to the edges of the screen.
    2. Screen has no dead pixels or variations in color, brightness or ghosting

For the above I hope to get an idea of how Model X is better than X. Where X is whatever you believe to be ideal; sans cost.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Great list, @Discoducky. I would add a few, below. This list is the "on the lot" list; there'd be another list for evaluating the test drive.

Exterior
    7. Doors, hood, and trunk open and close easily. Doors hold open at two stops or more and close with a satisfying thud.
    8. Chrome and trim pieces seated firmly and smooth, with small, uniform gaps to body panels

Sound
    2. Normal-volume external sounds inaudible inside the cabin
    3. Engine sounds inaudible inside cabin below <1600 RPM
    4. Engine sound smooth and well-modulated during operation, as heard either inside or outside the cabin

Electronics
    3. Audio system produces crisp, natural sound, properly equalized for the space, with the correct soundstage.

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Great additions to the list.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Engine? I don't know how to break this to you Robert but the Model S doesn't have an engine.....

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Old habits die hard! Engine/Motor-Drive-Inverter, I guess.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Well he's going to have a hard time trying to listen to engine or motor sounds on the S. :wink:

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The list was intended as a generic "compare X to Y", as I read it. Furthermore, the Model S does have an engine, aka motor. If it had a horrible high-pitched whine at highway speeds (which it doesn't, I know, but this is a ratings list for comparing generic cars), I wouldn't buy the car.

20. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Well, "engine" is a very generic term and an EV's propulsion components could fit. Hell, people talk about "economic engines", board gamers often talk about getting the "engine" set up for certain types of games.