Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to rationalize buying a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's easy for me. I'll save $600-$700/month that I was spending on premium fuel for my Range Rover that I got rid of. Over 8 years (assuming that gas prices for premium fuel stays at $4.00/gallon, which is HIGHLY unlikely as it will probably be double that in 8 years), thats' over $60,000 in savings. The car will pay for itself.

here was my formula for rationalizing it:

do i want it? yes.

+

can i afford it? yes.

=

get it.

That is what I finally ended up at. But I spent months calculating fuel costs, maintenance costs, electricity costs, tax credits, loan costs. And it really didn't matter. It was exactly as kinddog put it.

Here is exactly what I wrote when I figured it all out.

And I have gotten over the "does this make financial sense" problem. It flat out doesn't. I should keep driving my GTI and save. But the problem there is, buying a car that costs more than about $30k will never pass the "does this make financial sense" test. Bottom line is I have always loved cars, I have wanted an AC induction powered car since college, and well I want my toy. And thanks to a good education, good parents, good circumstances, and a good job (not to mention fairly decent amount of 'hard' work) I am able to afford it.

well, the math only works if you already own a luxury or more expensive or gas guzzling vehicle. My current car is 2012 camry hybrid and will be replaced by MS 85k, etc...

but I'm still buying the model S just because....and that's all I need.

Mine is replacing a beat up, scratched up, interior stained 2006 Prius. It's never even crossed my mind to buy any kind of luxury car before this, so the financial justification was discarded pretty early on in this process. I didn't even really know how much the various Mercedes, Jags, Porsches cost until some recent idle internet searches. I'm still not sure where the upper limit on price is that would have taken me "out of the game". I've configured mine at $83K so I guess somewhere around that.

Mine is replacing a beat up, scratched up, interior stained 2006 Prius. It's never even crossed my mind to buy any kind of luxury car before this, so the financial justification was discarded pretty early on in this process.
This is one of the many things I think is so cool about the Model S. My last couple of cars have been in the (somewhat) modest luxury/performance realm, so the Model S needed to closely match that experience (in terms of performance, features and elegance) for me to consider it. (That's the basis for my subjective comparison.) But at the same time, it's able to attract a lot of people who've never had a luxury/performance sedan before - because of everything else it has going for it. So cool. Just wish I had one!

By the way, I sold the Jag this morning. Bittersweet.

I'm in the same boat. I've never considered a car at this level in my entire life. I have 1996 Dodge Ram (to plow the drive and carry dead animals) and a 5 year old 2008 Prius. I was always going to take the next step from the Prius. The obvious choice just happens to be a super car from a great company. Bonus!

I have no good reason, I've been driving Priu (4 of them altogether) since 2001, my latest was a 2012 Plug in Prius that's only 10 months old, with 10,800 miles on it.... yeh, I should have just skipped it and moved directly to the Model S, having 10 miles of EV just makes you sad when your engine does eventually start. No way could I justify the Model S on fuel savings, the PiP was getting about 60MPG when it was using gasoline, I just don't want to use any gasoline at all. I'm older now, and I figure this is my last car, might as well go out in style :) I've been saving the planet for the last 10 years, going to enjoy my golden years.

You can't put a price tag on .....

"What kind of car is that?"
"It's a Tesla"
"Who makes it?"
"TESLA!"

Happened to me this morning going into the gate at the plant I do work at. Truck driver asked me what it was. Who makes it? He thought it was cool that it was 100% electric.

That and the guy in a Panamera Turbo gawking at me on the way to work made my day.

The only rationalization is that you want the car and can afford it. Savings wise, you can buy a new Prius and have enough left for 30 years of fuel at $5/gallon, so the Model S obviously can't compete with a hybrid if your only rationalization is fuel savings.