Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to re-attach the license plate bracket to the front bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
My front license plate frame is loose (the top part). I've cleaned it (I just moved out a bit as the license plate mount is still attached with the bolts on the bottom underside of the bumper) using iso-propyl alcohol, removed old tape and also cleaned the bumper.

I used this two-sided tape to re-attach the bracket, but less than 2 weeks later and its loose again (see pic below). What is the best way to re-attach the mounting plate back? And if you're wondering why I'm trying to attach it back again - its required by law where I live and I'm not interested in getting a ticket. :)

PXL_20220912_193005984.PORTRAIT_3.jpg

I can’t see the tape you used on my phone because Amazon wants me to change my country/region to view the link.

That said, I recently had to reattach mine for the same reason and used this 3M tape. It’s been rock solid for about 4 months now.
Get ALL the old tape off the black mounting bracket and clean both surfaces thoroughly to remove any trace of wax or oil.

3m 1" (25mm) X 9 Ft VHB Double Sided Foam Adhesive Tape 5952 Grey Automotive Mounting Very High Bond Strong Industrial Grade https://a.co/d/48nze3o

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I can’t see the tape you used on my phone because Amazon wants me to change my country/region to view the link.

That said, I recently had to reattach mine for the same reason and used this 3M tape. It’s been rock solid for about 4 months now.
Get ALL the old tape off the black mounting bracket and clean both surfaces thoroughly to remove any trace of wax or oil.

3m 1" (25mm) X 9 Ft VHB Double Sided Foam Adhesive Tape 5952 Grey Automotive Mounting Very High Bond Strong Industrial Grade https://a.co/d/48nze3o
Thanks! After you applied the tape, did you have to use anything to keep the plate pressed firmly against the bumper while the glue cured. Reason why I asked is that when I used the Gorrilla Two sided tape, I felt that I need to push the bracket against the bumper and keep it pressed there as the bracket wants to move out to the position indicated in the pic I attached. Sort of like using a vice grip to keep two objects together till the glue cures.

Thanks! After you applied the tape, did you have to use anything to keep the plate pressed firmly against the bumper while the glue cured. Reason why I asked is that when I used the Gorrilla Two sided tape, I felt that I need to push the bracket against the bumper and keep it pressed there as the bracket wants to move out to the position indicated in the pic I attached. Sort of like using a vice grip to keep two objects together till the glue cures.

I held it tight for a minute or two but that’s it.

Reactions: SilverGS