Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to reach Avon, Cape Hatteras, NC with an S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to visit friends in Avon, Cape Hatters in my Model S85, driving from Canada. Is it possible? Superchargers seem to be far.
Anybody knows hotels with chargers or other ways of "fast" charging. This would be my first long trip.

I think your first challenge is getting out of Canada. If you can get to Albany, I think the rest of the trip won't be much of an issue. Looks like that first leg could be a stretch. Once you get to Albany, you have plenty of choices to get down the coast to Rocky Mount then over to Plymouth.

Plymouth, NC to Avon is only 111 miles, so you should be able to make it without a problem if you can get to Plymouth. If you range charged you might potentially even make it there and back to Plymouth. Your bigger issue will be destination charging once you make it to Avon. I see one person with a 20A J1772 on Plugshare. There's also a KOA a little further north in Rodanthe that you could use if you needed to.

Do you plan on completing this trip in one day or you plan on spending the night somewhere in the middle?
Longest stretch would be from montreal to albany super charger. (I am not sure where exactly in canada you are coming from). Montreal to Albany is about 220 miles which shouldn't be a problem with doing a range charge. But there seem to be plenty of public J1772 chargers before albany along I-87. After this leg, it should be a breeze going down. Eddison - > Delaware -> Woodbridge -> Richmond Superchargers. From richmond to nags head is about 180 miles which won't be a problem. Quick search on plugshare found 2 KOA/RV camp grounds with NEMA 14-50s. Which should be plenty. I hope this helps. I would offer you my HPWC but woodbridge supercharger is 5 mins from my house. Much faster option :).

If you plan to stay in Avon for more than a day or two, destination charging potentially becomes easier, as you could use an outdoor-accessible 120V electrical outlet (if there's one near where you plan to park). If you're staying with your friends, simply ask them if they have an electrical outlet that's near the area where you'd be parking. You can just as easily ask the same thing of any hotel or rental property. And pack a high-quality heavy-duty extension cord, just in case. You'll likely add 50-90 miles of range per 24 hours while plugged in to a standard 15A 120V outlet. And even more (+90-120 miles/day) with a 20A outlet and the NEMA 5-20 adapter.

I've been planning the Avon run from the DC area for some time. As pointed out, once you hit the US supercharger system, you should be good to go. On the route I looked at, it's a stop at the Glen Allen supercharger followed by a stop at the Plymouth supercharger and then on to Avon. In addition, there is a camp ground in Rodanthe with 50 amp outlets if you need to charge up a little faster.

Thanks to all of you for the tips. I live around Montreal and Albany is reachable for me. From there, it should be OK.

As a side subject, anybody has a list of Superchargers in a table format. I like to use Microsoft Street & Trips to plan my trips. I want to create of list of POI for it. With it, I could plan my whole trip, much better than google.

In order to create POI, I need to set the exact place on the map and save it. Much faster with a table. Otherwise, I will do it, one by one. When done, I will create a POI file to share with others.

And pack a high-quality heavy-duty extension cord, just in case.

For an extension cord, be sure to get a 10-gauge (referred to as 10/3 in product descriptions). There are plenty of "heavy-duty" labeled cords out there that are higher gauge (the bigger the gauge number, the smaller the wire) and can't safely handle the continuous current the Model S draws. I used a brand new 12-gauge 20 foot extension for destination charging once and while it did work fine, the plug on one end of the cord was surprisingly warm after charging all night. Now I carry a 10-gauge for this purpose.

Thanks to all of you for the tips. I live around Montreal and Albany is reachable for me. From there, it should be OK.

As a side subject, anybody has a list of Superchargers in a table format. I like to use Microsoft Street & Trips to plan my trips. I want to create of list of POI for it. With it, I could plan my whole trip, much better than google.

In order to create POI, I need to set the exact place on the map and save it. Much faster with a table. Otherwise, I will do it, one by one. When done, I will create a POI file to share with others.

There is a table on Superchargers if you click the Data menu on the top right.

That said, you might want to look at using EV Trip Planner which I have found to be really helpful in planning trips as it takes a variety of factors into account like speed, weather, and elevation.