TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to read electric meter screens after solar installed?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Ceilidh, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

OK, this is a n00b question to fancy digital meters that can tally both used electricity from the power company and your solar output.

I typically have 3 screens that alternate on my meter. The total used kWh is self explanatory, as is the voltage reading. But I am a bit perplexed by how to read a couple of the other figures. Below are some example photos:

IMG_9352.jpg IMG_9355.jpg IMG_9356.jpg

I am assuming that the intermittent -88888 is some kind of system check or something?

And then there is the Delivered arrow, and an intermittent number in the left lower corner that I am assuming has to do with energy from the solar system, but over what timeframe?

I'm not sure exactly what this is telling me. An idiot's guide from someone in the know may be helpful to me and others installing solar.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers.

2. dtich

dtich #P708

3. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

that did answer some of my questions. Thanks.

Still confused about the delivered and the lower left kW reading though.

Cheers.

4. MitchL

MitchL S#945

If your smart meter says "delivered", you're receiving power from the grid (using grid power). If it says "received", you are sending excess power to the grid.

The 88888 display is a test so you know the LCD is working properly. Gas pumps do this too.

The kwh number is the amount delivered or received-- it also displays the voltage there so look at it carefully if you're curious about the kwh amounts.

/Mitch.

5. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Thanks much!

Cheers

6. James Taylor

James Taylor New Member

Thanks for providing such useful information. I was looking for similar information as I am finding it difficult to read electric meter screens.