Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Reboot Screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I know this has been covered many times before, but it's scattered across random threads and is actually really hard to find. I spent some time searching, looking through the wiki posts, and a few other places, and actually haven't found a proper hit yet.

So assuming I'm not just missing something that was right in front of me, here it is. An official thread just to explain how to reboot the various screens of the Model S.

Someone with the information, please provide here. Hopefully, this will make it easy for people to find in the future when searching the forums.

To reboot the 17" display, hold down both scroll wheels (on the steering wheel--I know you know this) until the display blacks out. It's said that if you hold them down till the logo appears there is a deeper reboot. This was true at one time, I don't know if it still is.

To reboot the instrument display press and hold the two top buttons (above the scroll wheel).

• Funny
Reactions: dasRad
It should be noted that reboots (at least mine) behave a little differently than they used to. The touchscreen will "black out" after holding the center scroll wheels for 5-10 seconds. The instrument panel will only reboot after holding the top steering wheel buttons for 5-10 seconds and then releasing. I've held them much longer and it just ignores me until I let go.

To reboot the 17" display, hold down both scroll wheels (on the steering wheel--I know you know this) until the display blacks out. It's said that if you hold them down till the logo appears there is a deeper reboot. This was true at one time, I don't know if it still is.

To reboot the instrument display press and hold the two top buttons (above the scroll wheel).
I was told by tech support that you should have your foot on the brake pedal the whole time until the logo reappears.

I was also informed by tech support (while having an issue) that you can goto the e-brake and power off screen and choose "power off" and let your car stay off for at least 2 minutes then press the brake pedal to restart the car. This process is a different type of "reboot" that powers everything off which helps reset some issues.

I was told by tech support that you should have your foot on the brake pedal the whole time until the logo reappears.

I was also informed by tech support (while having an issue) that you can goto the e-brake and power off screen and choose "power off" and let your car stay off for at least 2 minutes then press the brake pedal to restart the car. This process is a different type of "reboot" that powers everything off which helps reset some issues.

I have been told the same thing and follow that advice. In addition, they told me to pull my USBs because the car needs to read through them during reboot, which not only slows the process, but adds complexity to the process.

*bump*

Just had to reboot screens the other day after hand washing the car (did water cause an issue somewhere I wonder?). Center screen was black, message on instrument cluster said car was starting and to wait for message to disappear before pressing brake, but center never came on (things like A/C were also disabled). Also got a parking assist disabled message. I gave it far longer than it should have taken (several minutes I think, though it was almost 100 degrees outside and the A/C was disabled, so maybe it felt longer than it actually was). However, everything was all fine and dandy after rebooting both screens.

Based on the couple of times I've done this in the past, I recommend rebooting center stack first, then instrument cluster.

Found this thread again by searching for "reboot" with "titles only" checkbox checked.

How common is the need to reboot? With <500 miles I just had to do the reboot. Anybody have similar experience with such low mileage? If so how often did you have to report as the car got more miles?
It depends on the firmware version. Some seem to require more reboots than others. Miles on the car don't matter.