TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to recenter steering in drive-by-wire car???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricLove, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

So, my Model S has a cock-eyed steering wheel location corresponding to "straight", now traditionally this is adjusted with some set screws on the steering rack tie-rods...

But on a Model S there is not a direct connection between the steering wheel and the actual steering motor/assembly, correct?

In this case, how do you make these adjustments? Via computer only? Or is there a way to "reset neutral"... My thought is power the car down completely with wheels straight and the steering wheel "unlocked" (I think turn it on put in neutral then kill 12V and HV power) and then turn the wheel to new set "center" point and power it back up... Or I could find the power leads that go to the HPAS module and pull those instead of powering the car down completely... Anyone have any ideas?

2. thimel

thimel Member

There IS a direct connection between the model S steering wheel and the front wheels. I'm afraid I don't know how to adjust it. Why not take it into the SC?

3. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Right, if you lose power, you don't want to lose steering.

Any idea how it got off? Hit a curb? Or a pedestrian?

• Funny x 2
  4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

In cars with drive-by-wire steering, there is a clutch which engages a direct physical connection in the event of power loss so you don't lose control of the car.

Regardless, Teslas are not among those cars. I believe the only production car with it at the moment is the Infiniti Q50.

5. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Oh, this all makes more sense, so Model S isn't a drive-by wire it is just power assisted... I think the alignment of the steering should be straight forward then.

My car is an original and out of warranty, I'm not taking to TESLA for the exorbitant costs and long waits... Plus I wanna know how to service my own vehicle (teach a man to fish right?)

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

As far as I know, all versions of the S are mechanical steering with dual pinion electric power assist, like a lot of modern cars (including my Volt.)

The steering wheel connects mechanically with a pinion gear on the steering rack, and there's an electric motor connected to another pinion which provides the power assist (and turns the wheels by itself under autopilot.)