Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Refresh or Eject USB Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been setting up some folders on a USB drive for listening to music.

I first created "A Al Favorites" (the A puts it a the top), ejected it, and checked it out in the car. Took a bit for it to load, the the new folder was there.

I switched from USB to Phone and removed the USB drive. I took it to my Mac and created "A Lena Favorites." Ejected it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 12.39.46 PM.jpg

In the car, the new folder doesn't appear. I assume I need to tell Nick to reload the file directory.

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks.

as a unix guy, I have a natural dislike for embedded spaces and even up/lower case alteration in filenames. different os's treat them differently and that bothers me ;)

I force my filenames to be like: 01_song_name.flac with leading zeros to force natural song sort order.

if I write to a fat32 style disk (that uses FILE WRITE ORDERING as the natural sort order for some systems), I sort the files before I copy:

cd /my_music_folder; find . -print | sort | cpio -pvd /fat32disk

I know that windows/mac guys may not be able to easily do that, but linux people can benefit from this. if you reformat the disk and use this sort idea, you won't have fragmentation and all files will be sortable via filename OR fat table index id.

fwiw

spaces are delimiters. that was a core user interface edict from a long time ago and we we backwards by not listening to it. fortunately, linux has a cool util called 'detox' that will convert all the bad chars in filenames to proper ones ;)

apple really hurt the computing field by ignoring this simple rule. I don't expect MS to understand computers, of course, but I did hope apple would ;) ;)