Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to register tesla app for used tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were me, I'd call Tesla Tech Support at 877 798 3752 to do 2 things. First, if not already done, erase any/all info from prior owner. Next, they will be able to walk you through the process of connecting your phone to the car. I had them help me recently when I got a new Samsung android. I first had to delete my old phone, then add the new one. Very quick process.

Good luck.

If it were me, I'd call Tesla Tech Support at 877 798 3752 to do 2 things. First, if not already done, erase any/all info from prior owner. Next, they will be able to walk you through the process of connecting your phone to the car. I had them help me recently when I got a new Samsung android. I first had to delete my old phone, then add the new one. Very quick process.

Good luck.

Great. Thx!

I just had to do this, and it took WAY longer than I thought it would.... Close to a month for me, but my state apparently had to go out and mine the aluminum for the license plate.

I had to prove I bought the car, then wait for them to put it on my account. So I had to wait for my registration (took a few weeks). Then I had to send stuff to Tesla (see below). They had said it would take 3-5 business days to get it to my account. So I waited 5 business days, then called, and they had never gotten my proof of ownership. It was in my email with the right address showing, but it did not get to them, somehow. I thought "BS", but when I typed in the address and emailed (vs a "reply"), I got an auto-reply (which I hadn't gotten the first time), so I don't know what happened with that.

So... don't plan on being able to use the app day one. Call owner care, and they'll send you an email with the docs/info they need (copied below). When you send them the docs/info you need, if you don't get an autoreply, call the next day and see if they got the docs. Fortunately, it only took a couple of days after my call, so I think they expedited it because I sounded so pathetic.... I was anxious to pre-heat my car :D Besides that, I haven't found the magic of the app, but I've only had it a little while.

Here's the list they sent me a few weeks ago:
1. Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state ID.
2. Copy or picture of your title or registration (bill of sale does not qualify as a valid document)
3. Email address you would like linked to your account (My Tesla email if account is already created)
4. Home or mailing address
5. Phone number

I just had to do this, and it took WAY longer than I thought it would.... Close to a month for me, but my state apparently had to go out and mine the aluminum for the license plate.

I had to prove I bought the car, then wait for them to put it on my account. So I had to wait for my registration (took a few weeks). Then I had to send stuff to Tesla (see below). They had said it would take 3-5 business days to get it to my account. So I waited 5 business days, then called, and they had never gotten my proof of ownership. It was in my email with the right address showing, but it did not get to them, somehow. I thought "BS", but when I typed in the address and emailed (vs a "reply"), I got an auto-reply (which I hadn't gotten the first time), so I don't know what happened with that.

So... don't plan on being able to use the app day one. Call owner care, and they'll send you an email with the docs/info they need (copied below). When you send them the docs/info you need, if you don't get an autoreply, call the next day and see if they got the docs. Fortunately, it only took a couple of days after my call, so I think they expedited it because I sounded so pathetic.... I was anxious to pre-heat my car :D Besides that, I haven't found the magic of the app, but I've only had it a little while.

Here's the list they sent me a few weeks ago:
1. Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state ID.
2. Copy or picture of your title or registration (bill of sale does not qualify as a valid document)
3. Email address you would like linked to your account (My Tesla email if account is already created)
4. Home or mailing address
5. Phone number

Hello there ,
What if I bought the car from US - California, and then shipped it to Jordan ? I have all the documents for my ownership! I sent all of them to thier customer service online since 2 weeks yet no reply !!

Hello there ,
What if I bought the car from US - California, and then shipped it to Jordan ? I have all the documents for my ownership! I sent all of them to thier customer service online since 2 weeks yet no reply !!

Don't believe they support cars moved out of their region. You might want to contact @ingeneer. I'm sure he could help you.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Hello there ,
Mine took about 5 weeks. Tesla wanted to confirm the transfer of ownership with the previous owner but he and his family had gone on holiday. You could try phoning Tesla service in the region you have registered the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Evening all. Bringing this thread back. I am about to go through this process. Assume, as mentioned would be best for me to have the seller contact Tesla Care in advance of my purchase?

It would not really help. The DMV has to give you the new registration. If you are going through a bank, it can take them up to 45 days. Once you have that, Tesla takes care of the transfer fairly quickly.

Easiest way is for the seller to share their current account credentials with you (they can create a temporary password) and you can just “give it back” once the car moves to yours.

This is the actual request from Tesla for the transfer:

We need some information to transfer your Tesla into your name, so you may gain access to the car through your account and the Tesla mobile app:

• Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state/province ID.
• Copy or picture of your title or registration (Bill of sale does not qualify as proof of ownership).
• If registering under a business, please include your business card with your name and name of the business
• Email address you would like linked to your account (your Tesla Account email if you have an existing account)
• Full VIN
• Home or mailing address
• Phone number
• Was your vehicle purchased from a private party or 3rd party dealership

The name on the title or registration must match the ID provided.

Please allow up to 3 to 5 business to complete the transfer after we've received your information. We will email you once the transfer is complete.

If the seller, rather than the buyer, were to initiate this process it might go more quickly.

If the seller updates the account with the buyer's info and hands over the login credentials it would be instantaneous, but that would probably require the seller to not have another Tesla (and how many people trade in for gasoline?)

I recently did this also as the buyer.

Had to have the new registration (which I got immediately at the DMV) or the new title. They would not accept the notarized bill of sale.

Sent them all the docs and information listed above (post #12) and had access a week later.