Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove 12v outlet cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to remove or rotate the 12v outlet cover? It prevents me from closing the door with the wireless charger dock.

Thanks!
20200410_172545.jpg

You need to pull the center console to get under it and get to the back of the cigarette lighter/12 volt outlet. There is a ring which screws against the console (around the receptacle) and tightens it against the console. Once unscrewed, you can pull the receptacle and slide the ring the cover is attached to off (you'll need to disconnect the wires to do this).

Alternatively, you can just snap it off where it sits...

Thanks for the responses. I am not anxious to remove the console. I thought there would be a pin attaching the cover, but it did not appear that way when poked with a paper clip. Any idea how the cover is attached to the ring?

TravelFree, I already tried turning by hand with no luck. Did you turn counterclockwise (loosen) direction? By hand?

Thank you both for your responses!

Counter clockwise. It was extremely tight and I thought it was going to break but it rotated just 90° which was enough. If you were planning to remove it, you could always just cut it off with a pair of snips.

View attachment 531433

In addition to turning the 12V outlet, I'm interested in your pic where you've cut (?) an additional wire duct on the right side (top of the pic / opposite side of the 12V from the USB ports).

I'm considering doing that myself, in order to put the rats' maze of wires I have in that bin underneath. I'm pretty sure I have the room below, but I haven't figured out how to cosmetically get the wires from the power and/or USB ports to below the bottom "platform" of that compartment. I have a 2020 MS LR+, with the incorporated inductive phone charger.

How did you make those cuts? Seems like it would be easy, if I could figure out how the )(*&@#*# assembly comes out. I'm not thrilled about the idea of pulling the whole center console just to get at this piece of plastic.... Is there an easier way?

EDIT TO ADD: While I'm bending your ear... what else you got under there? I've currently got a small (4x) USB hub, with a thumb drive for the dash cam & two wireless game controller stubs plugged in using one of the USBs; and the factory phone charger in the other. I figure I can free up the other USB data port if I plug the phone charger into the 12V outlet (similar USB adapter to what's in your pic) & leave the hub in the other--that way, I'll have one open USB data (two, if you count the unused one on the hub) and one open USB power outlets, with all stray wires out of sight & out of mind below the compartment. If I were braver, I'd consider figuring out how to move and/or duplicate the USB ports down below altogether, and have zero wires in there at all....

Last edited:
I didn't remove the plastic. I lifted out the rubber mat and cut a section out as you see. The plastic floor in the compartment was cut with a plastic welding / cutting tip. But you could use any drill or saw I suppose. Feeding the top USB cable for the wireless charger up through that newly cut out was by reaching through the main compartment with the lid closed and just pushing the right angle USB plug up through the new cut out. Then open the lid and grab it for connection to the 12 volt USB adapter.

My SSD drive is hidden under the front compartment rubber floor. I removed it and cut the rubber ribs enough to fit the SSD and feet the USB cable from the SSD adapter. The drive is stick to the underside of the rubber mat with double stick tape to keep it from sliding around.

FYI- the USB data ports are used for the SSD drive cable and the second one can be used for a thumb drive with new music files or partitioned for another Teslacam storage. I tested this and what you will see is access to the second USB device that you select as soon as you access "USB" in the main screen Media source. I tested this back with 8.2 software so I'm not sure how it will work with 12.5. Haven't taken the time to repeat the dual USB devices since the software upgrade.

I noticed some people not able to use some Mac computers. They should understand that Tesla stores the video as MP4 files. Older Macs only recognize MOV video. That may be their problem. The Tesla also requires the storage device to be formatted in FAT32 as the Tesla instructions say. The procedure to partition a drive for Music and Teslacam is a bit tricky with windows 10 as it doesn't have FAT32 format for larger than 32GB drives or partitions. So the drive needs to be partitioned as NTFS format and then reformatted with a 3rd party format app to FAT 32, finally adding TeslaCam folder.

Future consideration is to add a second 12VDC receptacle to the back side of the arm rest console for the rear seat. When we travel we use a small chiller for keeping food and drinks cold that requires 12V. The 2020 MS console is different than the older ones showing the removal. I would imagine removal of the snap in place side panels is the first step to gain access. to the back or inside of those connections.

• Informative
Reactions: Jughead135
I didn't remove the plastic. I lifted out the rubber mat and cut a section out as you see. The plastic floor in the compartment was cut with a plastic welding / cutting tip. But you could use any drill or saw I suppose. Feeding the top USB cable for the wireless charger up through that newly cut out was by reaching through the main compartment with the lid closed and just pushing the right angle USB plug up through the new cut out. Then open the lid and grab it for connection to the 12 volt USB adapter.

My SSD drive is hidden under the front compartment rubber floor. I removed it and cut the rubber ribs enough to fit the SSD and feet the USB cable from the SSD adapter. The drive is stick to the underside of the rubber mat with double stick tape to keep it from sliding around.

Excellent, thank you! If you have any pics you're inclined to post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Will also be interested in your 12V outlet addition project--please keep us posted on your progress there.