Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove a small scratch from the windshield glass ? (not a crack in the glass)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, few days ago a small pebble hit my windshield. It did not crack the windshield but instead left 2 tiny scratches. I can just barely feel it with my finger nail. The 2 scratches is right in the middle of my field of vision on the driver's side. I am trying to figure out a way to remove the tiny scratches.

I did some research, and it seems like the way to remove scratches on glass is to get a compound called Cerium Oxide powder (available on Amazon) and mix it with water into paste (3M makes a bottle already mixed) and use an orbital polisher to polish out the scratch. I guess the principle is that these Cerium Oxide particles are just few microns in size and by using a polisher, it sands away the scratch.

I was wondering has anyone done this before? Did it result in any problems after polishing with this compound?

The reason I ask is that one reviewer wrote that he did not do it quite well the first time using a premixed solution and it resulted in some optical distortions on the windshield at night when headlights shine on the windshield.

Or should I take it to a windshield repair company? Do windshield repair companies remove small scratches or do they just fix cracks and replace windshields?

I had a similar issue with windshield scratches. My SC gave me the go ahead to proceed with the repair from an outside windshield repair contractor. I eventually decided against it because a few people I spoke with, including my detailer, informed me that with any type of windshield scratch repair, distortions can occur depending on how much or deep they buff. If the scratches aren’t that deep, in my opinion, I wouldn’t worry about it. I was getting windshield protection film anyway so I didn’t want to risk the possibility of distortion since the scratches were in my field of view.

Reactions: adaptabl
I did some research on this last year.
There is a company in Bend Oregon called GlasWeld. They seem to have the technology. I called them and they referred me to a local guy with their system.
I called him. It wasn’t cost effective for me at the time. May be more competitive in your area. Links & contact info below:

Deep Scratch Removal - GlasWeld

GlasWeld - Industry Leading Glass Repair Equipment & Tools

FB6BA62C-A1E4-4796-99CC-A2A2EEC8564F.jpeg

I have some tiny scratches on my windshield. This happens with all cars. Eventually a small pebble or piece of rock will hit your windshield when you are driving 75 miles per hour even if you are careful to keep your distance from the car in front of you. If it doesn't affect your driving, i would just ignore it.