Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove bug spatter from nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get your Model S naked, unless it came with the Tesla paint armour, which I think is no longer sold.

Just about any high quality wax or sealant can be put on the plastic. Which waxes have you used that state not to use on plastic?

Thanks Kevin. AutoGlym was the wax. But if there wasn't any to begin with, it's kind of a moot point, unless you say the clay will tarnish the plastic's finish and some infused shine will be necessary.

Last edited:
So claying can mar the paint and it could mar the plastic as well. But, that's almost a moot point because the role of claying is to remove contaminates in preparation for polishing. If you want to do the most basic job, get a Meguiar's Clay Kit and some Meguiar's SwirlX or PlastX. (SwirlX is not specifically made for plastic, but I've used it before with decent results; PlastX is for plastic but harder to find.) You can hand polish with a microfiber cloth (a lot of elbow grease!). That would probably be the least expense to attempt to address the problem. You can get all this stuff at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, etc. Otherwise, if you want to step up your game, head on over to detailedimage.com.

So claying can mar the paint and it could mar the plastic as well. But, that's almost a moot point because the role of claying is to remove contaminates in preparation for polishing. If you want to do the most basic job, get a Meguiar's Clay Kit and some Meguiar's SwirlX or PlastX. (SwirlX is not specifically made for plastic, but I've used it before with decent results; PlastX is for plastic but harder to find.) You can hand polish with a microfiber cloth (a lot of elbow grease!). That would probably be the least expense to attempt to address the problem. You can get all this stuff at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, etc. Otherwise, if you want to step up your game, head on over to detailedimage.com.

Clayed the stain. Good news, no marring. Bad news, the stain is whole. Must be etched in. I guess I'll let it be. Only I know it's there... Or perhaps I'll enquire if the upper part of the cone can be easily and affordably replaced.

Thanks for the advice!

When I travel with a lot of bugs/spray, I always put a fully soaked microfiber towel in a ziploc bag. I take one or two more microfiber towels. When I stop I use the wet towel and clean off the bugs followed by the dry towel. If I'm stopping for a break I use the restroom and clean the wet towel with a little bit of soap and water rinse it til it's clean of all the bug debris. Soak it again and you're ready to go.

So I went to the SC. Their detailer applied compound and it greatly reduced the stain. You really have to know it's there.

I've since been on another road trip. Carried a couple of microfibre cloths and Sanszo, a waterless car cleaning product. Removed all bugs when I got to my destination effortlessly and without scratching the surface. Those two things will stay in my trunk and that's what I will do moving forward. Way too much work to try and fix afterwards!