Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove bugs and aliens from rear lights ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One rear light got live insects, and one furry alien or fungus (not moving)
How can I remove them ?

20190807_180245.jpg 20190807_180204.jpg 20190807_180134.jpg

I just went to SC for the same issue. My local SC will no longer replace tail lights for bugs in them under warranty. They said that the design of the "vented" tail light would never prevent bugs from entering. So then I asked them to take it off and see if they can get the bugs out, and I'll pay for the labor. But they refused. Basically told me that there was nothing they were willing to do. I took the tail light off myself and was able to get the bugs out. It was the trunk light, so it was kind of a pain to do, but the reward was worth it. Thanks a lot Tesla.

I just went to SC for the same issue. My local SC will no longer replace tail lights for bugs in them under warranty. They said that the design of the "vented" tail light would never prevent bugs from entering. So then I asked them to take it off and see if they can get the bugs out, and I'll pay for the labor. But they refused. Basically told me that there was nothing they were willing to do. I took the tail light off myself and was able to get the bugs out. It was the trunk light, so it was kind of a pain to do, but the reward was worth it. Thanks a lot Tesla.
Although I was lucky and have had bug-infested lights replaced in the past, I’d really like to know how you managed to get those bugs out.
Just for future reference and informing other owners.

• Love
Reactions: Tforme
Once I took the light off, I just tapped it in different directions until the bugs got to the end, and then back through the back where they came in from. Its kind of like that marble game where you move the board around to get the marble where you want it.

Is this the tail light assembly that you removed?

I found a spider in there that I need to get rid of somehow.... The car is under warranty.
Spider.JPG

Yes, thats the easy one. If I remember correctly, nuts behind in the trunk and it pulls out. Good luck.

Do you think after I remove it, I can shake the tail lamp fixture to get the spider out? Is that what you did.

Do you know of a video someplace that shows how to take this Rear Left Outer Quarter Panel Tail Light Lamp out?

I found them for sale for around $100 but I'm hoping I can shake the spider out of the fixture...

Do you think after I remove it, I can shake the tail lamp fixture to get the spider out? Is that what you did.

Do you know of a video someplace that shows how to take this Rear Left Outer Quarter Panel Tail Light Lamp out?

I found them for sale for around $100 but I'm hoping I can shake the spider out of the fixture...

Yeah I shook it out, through the "back" of the light. I used the below video - it doesnt show you exactly how to take it out, but the light is already removed and you can see where the studs/nuts are located. Just take them off and pull the light straight back.

My used (from Tesla) 2016 MS 75D came with a dead bug of a noticeable size in the right rear tail light. It's not a critical thing, but it seems stupid to drive around with. If they won't remove it under warranty, is there a video for removing the right tail light of a refreshed MS?