Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to remove cigarette smoke smell from car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sat in a used Tesla for sale that was pretty nice except it reeked of smoke, I guess previous owner was a smoker.
I am wondering if there are ways to permanently get rid of the smoke smell from cars like this? or is it pretty much impossible in which case I should just walk away from all smoker cars?

The car is pretty nice so if there is a solution I'd be willing to consider it...

I recently sat in a used Tesla for sale that was pretty nice except it reeked of smoke, I guess previous owner was a smoker.
I am wondering if there are ways to permanently get rid of the smoke smell from cars like this? or is it pretty much impossible in which case I should just walk away from all smoker cars?

The car is pretty nice so if there is a solution I'd be willing to consider it...

Detailers claim they can remove but it's never quite the same in my experience.

I walk.

We have used this product to keep odors out of the air:
Nature's Air Sponge Odor Absorber

We had our roof foamed and there was a chemical smell that was permeating into the house. A few of those scattered around the attic trapped the smell until the foam fully cured.

But it won't actually clean the fabrics, plastics, foam, etc. So the smell will keep coming back. If you can't live with it you need to move on.

That would help clear the air, but I think that the odors that have soaked into the carpet, headliner, seats, etc., would once again start filling the car once you are parked in the Sun and the internal temps get very hot. just my thinking....

Forget this car.

Unless you are a really brave DIY'er take the car to a good detailer and be prepared to spend $500+. At my shop here in Portland we use a product called Tabac-Attack and do a steam cleaning of all interior surfaces along with a chlorine and/or ozone treatment. It takes us 2 full days or about 6-10 labor hours of work. Even with that we can never guarantee a full removal of the odor. Some cars with light odor will have a full 100% correction but most will retain some level of smell. It really just depends what you can live with.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I bought a Range Rover from a smoker. I took it to a good detailer and had them clean, shampoo the entire interior, then I had a company come to my house with an ozone machine. They ran it for a few hours and it did not smell very good for a few days. Long term, the cigarette smoke was completely gone! The whole thing cost about $400.

thanks for the great answers so far, really appreciate it.
interesting note, I just discovered that the car had already been detailed when I sat in it.
so would this mean detailing it again won't fix the problem? or maybe I just need to do a fancier type of detail?

also if I just ignore the smell, will it go away or at least lessen over time, let's say 1 year?

thanks for the great answers so far, really appreciate it.
interesting note, I just discovered that the car had already been detailed when I sat in it.
so would this mean detailing it again won't fix the problem? or maybe I just need to do a fancier type of detail?

also if I just ignore the smell, will it go away or at least lessen over time, let's say 1 year?

It’s the monkey cage. At first when you get in the monkey cage all you can smell is monkey sh*t. After a little while it seems to go away until eventually you can’t smell the monkey *sugar*. So eventually you won’t smell the monkey *sugar* anymore but your friends and family will climbing into that car with you. Get it...

Reactions: croman
You’ll never get that smell out.

We bought a used Volvo on eBay. The car stank of cigarettes the day it was dropped off at the house. We got some of the smell out but it never was the same as a car that hadn’t been smoked in. If you don’t care for the smell of old cigarette smoke, skip that car. We tried everything. You can improve it but that car will go to the crusher stinking of old cigarette smoke.

That car had daily exposure to smoke. Day in and day out, pack after pack, year after year, windows up, smoke repeatedly saturated the air everywhere in that car, every part of the car, not just the exposed surfaces, the back side of every panel, the insulation, the headliner, everything under the dash, behind the dashboard, it permeated and put deosits on the speakers, it saturated the plastic wiring, the seat cushions, the air conditioning ducts, the rubber seals, the leather, the fabrics, all of it. There was wave after wave after wave of concentrated tars and smoke. The inside of the car took it and took it. Now it will release that stored stench, most at first then a little less and less later as the car ages. But there is plenty.

Nothing destroys that odor. Your nose is exquisitely sensitive, just a little bit of that outgassing cigarette deposit and you’ll be aware of it. They can scrub surfaces but they can’t get that foul gummy residue off all the buried surfaces. You can leave the windows open, run large fans in there for months at a time to try to accelerate the diminishment of that smell, and it will diminish, but you won’t ever get rid of all of it.

There is nothing magic about baking soda. Fabreeze won’t touch it. Vinigar, commercial products, little mirror dangly pine things, Pine Sol, you can try it all but that smell is relentless. We put an ionizer in there, we tried charcoal. That smoker absolutely soaked that car’s insides in cigarette smoke and there is enough deposited there to last the rest of that car’s useful life.

I’d love to be wrong about this. I’m not, though. I never smoked. I hate that smell. After that cigarette stinking Volvo, I’ll never again buy a car that has been a smoker’s car.

Reactions: croman and xanatos
1: ozone affects a lot of plastics, wire insulation, some get brittle, some discoloured, some just more opaque... It is not a good thing at all, it's a really bad "solution"
2: if you go for bad solutions anyway; try napalm, that will remove the stench of cigarettes.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: D.E. and croman