Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: I assume the front license plate is attached with double-sided tape since I don't see screws. What's the best way to remove it? Is this one of those situations where you use heat and fishing wire? Is there then something you'd recommend that helps get rid of any sticky stuff without damaging the paint's finish? Thanks!

Hot water, plastic scouring pad and elbow grease. Surely there are solvents that will work without damaging the finish, but it's going to be specific to the adhesive (which probably changed from month to month as they swap tape suppliers).

Really it's best to go with one of the various aftermarket bracket products. I have an EveryAmp SnapPlate and think it's great.

Reactions: Rothgarr
I used a hairdryer and heated it up, then used channel locks to grab on to it and pulled it off using more heat as necessary. The tape will roll off with your fingers if heated a little. I used a claybar to get every little micro bit of it off.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Hot water, plastic scouring pad and elbow grease. Surely there are solvents that will work without damaging the finish, but it's going to be specific to the adhesive (which probably changed from month to month as they swap tape suppliers).

Really it's best to go with one of the various aftermarket bracket products. I have an EveryAmp SnapPlate and think it's great.
I'm looking to replace my OEM bracket with the "Quick Bandit" one.

Hairdryer to soften the glue, then use dental floss or fishline inbetween the bracket and bumper to remove the license plate hardware, and finally to remove the glue (heat the sticker again and rub off with soap and water) or goo-gone will also help.

We used to do this 90's cars to remove the emblems on our cars.

Question: I assume the front license plate is attached with double-sided tape since I don't see screws. What's the best way to remove it? Is this one of those situations where you use heat and fishing wire? Is there then something you'd recommend that helps get rid of any sticky stuff without damaging the paint's finish? Thanks!
tesla-3-front-license.jpg

here you can see where the double stick tape is, so you can plan your attack accordingly.
hair dryer / heat gun + dental floss / fishing line + goo gone or citrus cleaner..

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and Rothgarr
I've read that Goo-Gone can be used to help dissolve the sticky residue. I haven't done mine yet , but might tackle the job today.
Good luck!