Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Remove HOV sticker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally placed the California small HOV sticker on my front bumper instead of my rear bumper. Any tips on how to remove it from the front bumper? It's my understanding that it is designed so that when you take it off, you can't take it off in one piece so I'll call the DMV tomorrow to get another one, but in the meantime, anyone know what's the best way to remove the sticker from the front bumper?

I had to reposition mine, but it can be a pain since it is designed to leave parts of the sticker behind and the remainder spells VOID in small text.

My tip in the past was to take the three sticker panel and cut between the stickers so you have three separate stickers. Place all three with the backing material in a copy machine with 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper. The result are three paper "stickers" you can cut out and using some tape, place on the vehicle to experiment on the placement. Don't drive with the paper stickers!

Once you are satisfied with the look of the sticker positions, then it will be easier to get the real sticker in the same place.

How were you able to take it off in one piece and stick it again? I heard that it hard to take it off and won't come off in piece? Did you use some glue/tape to put it back on?

I need to reposition mine so looking for safe way to do it for both sticker and the car :)

I have a white sticker that was peeling up at the corners, so I ordered new ones. When they arrived I got a bottle of goo gone spray, a bunch of paper towels, saran wrap an old credit card.
I peeled what I could from the old sticker. It left a lot of void crap, and goo and sticker backing.
I saturated the stuff on the car with goo gone, and put the saran wrap on it. Let it sit for 20 mins. Came back to it with my credit card and started scraping the goo off. After about 10 mins of constant spraying and scraping I got it all off.
This was on my white car with opticoat So I don't know if that helped me getting them off, but the end result was clean, with no scratching from the credit card.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
My Model 3 was in an accident and one of my stickers was destroyed during repairs. My other stickers are mounted on California HOV Under Stickers Protection Film that I'd purchased from RPM Tesla. I am expecting that I will have to replace all 4 stickers with the new replacement ones. Any experience with removing the stickers that are on the Protection Film?

My Model 3 was in an accident and one of my stickers was destroyed during repairs. My other stickers are mounted on California HOV Under Stickers Protection Film that I'd purchased from RPM Tesla. I am expecting that I will have to replace all 4 stickers with the new replacement ones. Any experience with removing the stickers that are on the Protection Film?

I don't have the ones from RPM, but I got 3M clear bra from amazon. They were very very easy to peel off the bumper. I just removed my white decals and put on red decals on our Model X. BTW, I can also peel the actual sticker off the clear bra, but the watermarking from the sticker was left behind on the clear bra surface. I am so glad that I put the stickers on top of the clear bra. If those watermarking was on top of the bumper, I don't know if they could be washed off easily after they have been baked on by the sun for a year.

I bought a California car and had to remove these from the black textured lower bumper. Each sticker peeled off in one piece, leaving behind white “watermark” void lettering.

I asked Griots and they suggested their “speed shine” cleaning product and a clean microfiber towel. Had both already, so it was an easy choice. Worked well. Took a little elbow grease. Not more than a couple of minutes each.

I cleaned the area with soap and water first to remove grit (after peeling the sticker).

I bought a California car and had to remove these from the black textured lower bumper. Each sticker peeled off in one piece, leaving behind white “watermark” void lettering.

I asked Griots and they suggested their “speed shine” cleaning product and a clean microfiber towel. Had both already, so it was an easy choice. Worked well. Took a little elbow grease. Not more than a couple of minutes each.

I cleaned the area with soap and water first to remove grit (after peeling the sticker).

I am going to find myself in the exact same situation come January. My stickers are on the rubbery bottom lip. This is what you used, correct?

Griot's Garage Speed Shine & Three Pristine Werks Velour Microfiber Towels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPNMM9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QPV.Bb1J5YREP