Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove my pod point tethered charger from Tesla charge port? (Without using the screen in the car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this only opens the charge port door? If so, I have no issue with this as there is a button at the base of the door. I am interested in the fastest and least hassle way of releasing the cable from my tethered Ohme charger. My previous car (ID.3) would just unlock the cable at the same time as the car. I have essentially zero risk of anyone removing the cable from the car, so its a bit of a PITA that I have to faff about in what otherwise would be extremely slick operation to leave in the vehicle.

I am interested in the fastest and least hassle way of releasing the cable from my tethered Ohme charger

Model S/X have a button (under charge flap). I think it is disappointing that Tesla didn't include that on M3 / MY

I have a Tesla wall charger and a Zappi ... and the consequence of that is that I always charge the MS from The Zappi (to use the button under flap to release wand) and charge the MY on the Tesla charger (where the wand-button is available to disconnect). Definitely much easier than fiddling with APP etc. (I know that from the occasions when MY gets plugged into Zappi and I have to use a "button alternative" to release it.)

Never tried it, but I would have thought that if the car is unlocked this fob will unlock the cable if pressed and held.

As before, the non coded method to open the charge port door (simple RF) and to unlock the charge wand (electrical trigger on pilot pin - easy to do but embedded within the wand) are very different.

Other methods available such as screen, app, keyfob or api, but these are coded, ie securely linked between car and device.

Its a shame it’s not easier and possibly the #1 reason why one might consider a Tesla wall charger.

Or you can buy a key fob, and unlock the charger using that. It was one of the main reasons I purchased it. I found that using the phone to unlock the charger took too much time for me, specially if you're in the rain waiting to go inside the house...
Same.

Nice to have a button that forces an unlock without having to get your phone out or reach into the car.

Never tried it, but I would have thought that if the car is unlocked this fob will unlock the cable if pressed and held.
The OEM fob opens the charge port door regardless of whether the car is locked or unlocked, and unlocks the charge cable if it's plugged in. Same long press on it.

Reactions: Big_D
if you feel the 5-10 sec processing time will be too much for you..

Is it that little?

For me it would be: Get phone out of pocket, SWIPE UP, do face recognition, FIND (side-scroll) to get to page of icons with TESLA, launch that. I have 3 cars and a house in the APP, so likely to have to SIDE SWIPE to get to the right car (and risk that I'm in a hurry and disconnect a different car, that actually needs to charge ...)

So in practice I never do that

I would, instead, open drivers door, lean in, tap screen to get the CHARGE pane up (hopefully not just-missing and changing my preferred %AGE to MILES, and then having to put it back again), and then STOP CHARGE ... then walk to the back of the car to unplug, and back to the drivers door again.

As it happens I don't need to do either of those (I have Tesla charger wand-with-button), and if I did I expect I would refine them to be better - such as configuring Siri (not something I use; is it going to hear that with the phone in my trouser pocket?)

I've got my model Y on lease and the app works pretty much spot on when I use it to unlock the charge port. To make it easier I've changed the mute toggle switch on the iPhone 15 pro as a release command for the tesla it is a lot quicker than opening the app - although if the car is asleep for a while it can take a few goes to do it.

As it happens I don't need to do either of those (I have Tesla charger wand-with-button), and if I did I expect I would refine them to be better - such as configuring Siri (not something I use; is it going to hear that with the phone in my trouser pocket?)
You can set it up to hear you from your pocket yes. Apple Watch works too. I was referring to the 5-10s delay it takes between the moment I summon Siri and the charge port is actually unlocked.
And as I mentioned, you can also do all this before putting the phone in your pocket, from the house, or while you are walking to the car for instance.

Now what I really need is the reverse, to actually automate the charger plugging into the car when I come home..
Maybe like this.

Last edited:
You can set it up to hear you from your pocket yes

useful to know, thanks :)

Apple Watch works too

Not got one of them, but I am sure that I should (haven't worn a watch for decades, probably ever since I owned a phone that could tell the time). I went to buy one (online) once, plethora of options and I gave up (due to ignorance as to which/what would be suitable for my needs). I know nought about them, but I like the way a mate of mine glances at his watch (when he gets a phone call / text) and decides whether it needs his attention rather than having to check his phone at meeting / dinner-table etc.

I was referring to the 5-10s delay it takes between the moment I summon Siri and the charge port is actually unlocked.

yes, sorry I did realise that. I was drawing an analogy for someone who hasn't set up Siri

to actually automate the charger plugging into the car when I come home

Maybe, instead, just waste X% on charging using a wireless charging pad? 🤓

I've got a set of 4 zigbee buttons in the hallway that use the Tesla API through home assistant to lock/unlock car/unlock charger.

Top 2 send a text to speech announcement to select speakers around the house when their friends are at the door.
Bottom 2 for lock/unlock the car and double press unlock to just unlock the chargeport.

1707761049643.png

Works really well and handy if you need to access the car without your phone.
A lot of effort to setup if you're not already using home assistant though.