Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove rear seat backs and front passenger seat for Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched everywhere and I still can’t find a good video or even some pictures describing what is involved in removing the rear seat backs and the front seat in the Model 3.

I want to do this simply to cut weight for the dragstrip. However, I want to know if there are any issues with disconnecting the front seat sensors and what bolts we have to remove to get the backseat backs out.

Right now I have aftermarket seat covers on so I can’t see the bolts to remove the back seat backs. I don’t want to remove the seat covers if it is going to be a lot of trouble to get the seat backs out.

Have any of you done this before and have pictures or videos of what is involved?

Thank you so much for that. It appears that removing the rear bolsters is a destructive process. There is a bracket that it explicitly says is a “one time use” item. I don’t want to mess with it if it isn’t an easily fully reversible process.

Thank you so much for that. It appears that removing the rear bolsters is a destructive process. There is a bracket that it explicitly says is a “one time use” item. I don’t want to mess with it if it isn’t an easily fully reversible process.
I gave my Model 3 to a body to replace a rear quarter and wheelhouse.

I didn't want to get my seats damaged as I noticed that the body shop just pilled up the seats in a corner of the shop.

So I tried to remove the rear seat.
The bottom is very easy to remove, there are two electrical wires for the heating
so you have to be careful when disconnecting them.
For the back of the seat, the two left and right are also easy to remove.

However, the central back seat has a seat belt connected to the chassis.
The bolt holding the seat belt is very tight so I decided not to touch it.

I just wrapped this back seat to protect it and extended the seat belt
to the max so the seat was away from the area the body shop will be working on.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I gave my Model 3 to a body to replace a rear quarter and wheelhouse.

I didn't want to get my seats damaged as I noticed that the body shop just pilled up the seats in a corner of the shop.

So I tried to remove the rear seat.
The bottom is very easy to remove, there are two electrical wires for the heating
so you have to be careful when disconnecting them.
For the back of the seat, the two left and right are also easy to remove.

However, the central back seat has a seat belt connected to the chassis.
The bolt holding the seat belt is very tight so I decided not to touch it.

I just wrapped this back seat to protect it and extended the seat belt
to the max so the seat was away from the area the body shop will be working on.
How hard was it to get the side panels off to expose the bolts for the seat backs? The service manual says those brackets are not reusable.

If you are talking about the verical plastic covers between the left and right seats and the door?
I realize now that you mention it, that there is no release, like a plastic pin, that you can find in various areas.
So you need to force a little bit to remove them. However, I didn't have any problem to put them back.

You realy need to be OCD not to reuse those.

There are two kind of plastic plugs, like a one inch square, one on the top and one on the bottom.
Those plugs could worn out if you remove the covers too many times.
I think, I inserted the bottom plug first and then you can check if the top plug
is at the correct position before pressing the cover to its final position.

• Helpful
yes bottom first and then press top in, to remove rear upper seats take the side panels off and there are 2 nuts on each side, take those off and seats will come out, the bolt holding seat belts will need a 1/2" driver as it is very tight, I left the seat belt part that attaches to the wire coupling in place otherwise a warning light comes on, then I fabricated a shelf level with the rest of the back area so it is easy to carry items and can sleep there if needed.

• Helpful