Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove rear "shelf" speaker grille

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to remove the trim on the outside edges of the rear seat backs. In the process, you will destroy one clip per side (they are single use and will break when you pull them). I can't remember, but you may also have to remove the trim from the C-Pillars. Once you've got this trim off, the entire rear shelf simply slides forward.

Relatively easy, if it weren't for the fact that you have to source replacement clips. FWIW, I've removed the side trim and simply jammed it back in place (no clip) without any major issue.

You have to remove the trim on the outside edges of the rear seat backs. In the process, you will destroy one clip per side (they are single use and will break when you pull them). I can't remember, but you may also have to remove the trim from the C-Pillars. Once you've got this trim off, the entire rear shelf simply slides forward.

Relatively easy, if it weren't for the fact that you have to source replacement clips. FWIW, I've removed the side trim and simply jammed it back in place (no clip) without any major issue.

Sorry to go off topic flashflooder, after removal of this piece, were you able to see and access the rear shelf speakers? I know you had changed some 4" speakers in the past and just curious on this.

Huntson: might be of relevent from tesla site parts a-b-c post interior trim
Trunk_Interior_TI-1770

I pulled off that side trim (driver side) last night and was surprised the clip broke. Why would it be designed this way? It was late and didn't have time to mess with it to see if I could get it to go back w/o the clip.

When tapping the area behind the back seats where the three hooks are located, it makes a pretty good noise. I was hoping to access this area to quiet it down if it's the source of my noise. My 4/19 build Model 3 simply doesn't sound/feel solid on hard hits. My Bolt and Leaf feel better made over the same crappy roads. I realize the M3 has a rougher ride, but I would like it to still sound/feel solid. It's effecting my enjoyment of the car.

Reactions: dwalme
Mobile service guy came today, he pried the two clips in the front that hold the piece to the metal off with his fingers, then reached between the felt piece and the metal for a while. He said there was a loose clip under there which was supposed to be secured with tape, and he resecured it. Rattle gone. Then he just popped the clips back on. So if it is a rattle, not sure removing the piece is necessary.

Mobile service came out yesterday to address the rear shelf noise (and other things).

We went for a test drive to diagnose wind noise and one thing I noticed it was much quieter. I asked him if he did anything to the rear shelf yet and he said yes. It was rattling just by tapping so I put some insulation in there. It was an easily noticeable improvement.

Mobile service came out yesterday to address the rear shelf noise (and other things).

We went for a test drive to diagnose wind noise and one thing I noticed it was much quieter. I asked him if he did anything to the rear shelf yet and he said yes. It was rattling just by tapping so I put some insulation in there. It was an easily noticeable improvement.
I’m getting the same rattle in the rear shelf. Where can you stuff the insulation? I looked around the trunk and there doesn’t seem to be an opening that would reach the area of the shelf that’s rattling.

I’m getting the same rattle in the rear shelf. Where can you stuff the insulation? I looked around the trunk and there doesn’t seem to be an opening that would reach the area of the shelf that’s rattling.

No guarantee doing anything there will address your issue. The double sided tape was only a temporary fix that did not last. In the end they replaced my entire rear shelf. I think as they were working to address the noise they caused the 3rd brake light to rattle which required them to replace the entire rear dash pad.