TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to remove side mirror covers?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tdiggity, May 31, 2014.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Does anyone know how to remove the side mirror covers? Trying to swap mine out because I scraped mine :(

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Do you mean the painted skullcaps? They are fixed on with integrated clips and double sided tape, very difficult to remove without breaking the clips.

3. swegman

swegman Member

I had the folding mirror upgrade done to my car, and they swapped the painted skullcaps from the original mirrors onto the folding mirrors. I asked the SC how they did that, and they said there is a special tool for releasing the clips. Without the tool, they said you will most likely break the clips.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Thanks guys. I called the SC and they said bring it by and they'd be happy to swap them for me.

5. flodrab

flodrab Member

#5 flodrab, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    before you put the new ones on, you might consider getting them wrapped ... I've gotten a lot of compliments about the carbon fiber look I did to mine

mirror.JPG

6. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Put a small flat plastic tool, they're called little chizzlers, near the far side of the skullcap and wedge it in. Do it gently and you'll hear a snap. Keep following the perimeter with same technique, and viola. No double-sided tape on the ones we've removed.

IMG_3826-web900.jpg

7. Terra117

Terra117 Member

A couple of questions.

Which side is the far side, and how many clips are there?

In the photo, it looks like you also removed a trim piece from the bottom of the mirror. Is it part of the top piece, or was it removed separately?

Also, did you remove the window trim to wrap it, or did you wrap it in place? The edges look very nicely wrapped.

Thanks.