Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove spoiler on a new MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0B9F9FCF-BC0F-4FA7-8D83-97312ECB2F3A.jpeg

If you want to reinstall a spoiler I can help you guys out. Ive done a bunch and they will not come off.

Remove the old tape from the spoiler. Take your time and get every last piece off. I would use a knife or razor blades. Super time consuming, but be patient. Clean it really well with rubbing alcohol until theres no black left on the paper towels.

Put spoiler on the car and measure from the edges of the trunk. Get it centered perfectly. Take two pieces of blue painters tape and put where the edges of the spoiler sits on the trunk.

On the car remove any leftover tape with a citrus cleaner. Clay bar the area. Then clean with rubbing alcohol several times. Buy the little packets of 3m adhesion promoter. Use one on the trunk, let it dry, and use a 2nd one again let it dry. Use three if you want.

Use two on the underside of the spoiler. Same process.

Thats the tape you want. Dont cheap out. You can buy it locally as well. Apply to the spoiler to the very tip. Trim excess with a razor blade. 3md makes a bunch of similar looking tape. You want the molding tape. Its strong as sh*t.

I remove some of the red backing from the edges and hang it off the sides of the spoiler. Like 1-2" so the entire center of the spoiler has the red backing still installed.

Put spoiler on trunk and put edges on tape you installed. Start peeling red backing from one side, then the other. Press the spoiler down to grab onto the car. You can try to tape down if you want but I dont bother. Let it sit overnight. Dont do this in the cold, should be fairly warm. Use a dryer if needed but dont get it super hot. Just warm.

Upvote 0
If you want to reinstall a spoiler I can help you guys out. Ive done a bunch and they will not come off.

Remove the old tape from the spoiler. Take your time and get every last piece off. I would use a knife or razor blades. Super time consuming, but be patient. Clean it really well with rubbing alcohol until theres no black left on the paper towels.

Put spoiler on the car and measure from the edges of the trunk. Get it centered perfectly. Take two pieces of blue painters tape and put where the edges of the spoiler sits on the trunk.

On the car remove any leftover tape with a citrus cleaner. Clay bar the area. Then clean with rubbing alcohol several times. Buy the little packets of 3m adhesion promoter. Use one on the trunk, let it dry, and use a 2nd one again let it dry. Use three if you want.

Use two on the underside of the spoiler. Same process.

Thats the tape you want. Dont cheap out. You can buy it locally as well. Apply to the spoiler to the very tip. Trim excess with a razor blade. 3md makes a bunch of similar looking tape. You want the molding tape. Its strong as sh*t.

I remove some of the red backing from the edges and hang it off the sides of the spoiler. Like 1-2" so the entire center of the spoiler has the red backing still installed.

Put spoiler on trunk and put edges on tape you installed. Start peeling red backing from one side, then the other. Press the spoiler down to grab onto the car. You can try to tape down if you want but I dont bother. Let it sit overnight. Dont do this in the cold, should be fairly warm. Use a dryer if needed but dont get it super hot. Just warm.
Thanks, great advice 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Dental floss wont work, its not strong enough. Braided fishing line or even mono 20lb test or higher. Hair dryer no heat gun. Citrus cleaned to remove leftover tape.
I just used Dental Tape (thick dental floss) to remove front plate on my Model S (two rows of double sided tape). It was really on there good. Broke a couple times but it was strong enough. Regular dental floss would have been too weak. Used Goo Gone to clean up.

Upvote 0
I’m shocked that the spoiler is held on by tape. Does it really just loosen up over time?
Yup. It is a common problem. I had a mobile tech out to look at something else and while he was there I asked about it... he said to wait a little longer since mine had only started to come loose... get it repaired / replace annually seems to be the consensus.

Keith

Upvote 0
I’m shocked that the spoiler is held on by tape. Does it really just loosen up over time?
Most spoilers are held on by tape. If done correctly it will be on for life. Teslas build quality is questionable in many regards and attaching a spoiler seems like on of them.

I added a real CF spoiler to my 3 in 2019 with the method I posted above. Has not budged at all and none of the tape has lifted at all. This is in NC sun, heat, and humidity.

Upvote 0

Remove the old tape from the spoiler. Take your time and get every last piece off. I would use a knife or razor blades. Super time consuming, but be patient. Clean it really well with rubbing alcohol until theres no black left on the paper towels....
Dental floss wont work, its not strong enough. Braided fishing line or even mono 20lb test or higher. Hair dryer no heat gun. Citrus cleaned to remove leftover tape.
Thank you! Either I flubbed my install (most likely) or my spoiler's shape was a little off as the install does not look good and the spoiler is already pulling away after only a few days. You've given me enough information to safely remove the spoiler and hopefully install it correctly on the 2nd try. You don't mention Goo Gone Automotive, but others do. Do you not recommend using Goo Gone?

Upvote 0