Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to remove stains from the surface next to side-mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those stains came from the original windshield wiper fluid as for me only the right surface is affected.
No amount of polishing and rubbing and even glass cleaner can get it off. I wonder whether it had some chemicals in it and the sunlight fried the surface?

any ideas? At the same time it looks like a cheap plastic part which can just be replaced?

i tried isoproyl alcohol, car wash, window glass cleaner. wont even touch it with heavy rubbing.
Im fairly confident that it came from the windshieldwiper fluid driving 1200km through the 40 degree sunny outback. the window looked like crap too but that washed off easily.

It must be very frustrating for you.

Most of the solvents you mentioned will not remove mineral deposits. Alcohol might remove some mild deposits, but yours seem very stubborn. If it is a mineral deposit, you will need something that can dissolve the deposits, not clean them. I suggest vinegar or ammonia. If that doesn't work, try an acid wheel cleaner.

These are caustic chemicals so be sure to wear protective gloves, eyewear, etc and don't breathe the stuff in.

Good luck!

I managed to get it off with chemicalguys light metal polish. came off with ease. Not sure whats so good about the light metal polish, it's not THAT great at removing waterspots from chrome and I tried their heavy duty waterspot remover without success. Needed hardly any rubbing!

Last edited:
same thing happened to me. i been trying to clean it for the last month trying different things. I feel like it was the windshield fluid. Is this the stuff you're talking about : https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-SPI_404_16-Light-Polish/dp/B00FALVXCI/

yes it is definetely the windshield washer fluid - mine was the OEM one, not sure what they used, i suspect they topped it up with hard brisbane tap water rather than distilled water.

That amazon link is the polish which took it right off. Didn't even need much rubbing. I don't think its any abrasive in there, it must be some chemical NOT found in other waterspot removers- its mainly just leaving it on for a bit and then taking it off.

yes it is definetely the windshield washer fluid - mine was the OEM one, not sure what they used, i suspect they topped it up with hard brisbane tap water rather than distilled water.

That amazon link is the polish which took it right off. Didn't even need much rubbing. I don't think its any abrasive in there, it must be some chemical NOT found in other waterspot removers- its mainly just leaving it on for a bit and then taking it off.

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a shot, sounds like it should work. It has been bugging me for months now every time I see, I tried multiple things.

Happy to have found this thread. Used this since i had it already and it worked like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpeg
    IMG_5694.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 96